IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

sabal pumos vs. sabal rosei

merrill

I have a sabal which is almost w/o question either pumos or rosei, in pretty deep shade about 5 feet tall. Can anyone help me differentiate?

Many Thanks, merrill

merrill, North Central Florida

Pictures?.......not that I would know.......just want to see pictures.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

<<off topic>>

Hi, Dr. Merrill. In the case you haven't noticed, I've sent you a couple private messages. If you prefer I can re-send them to your e-mail. If so, what's your e-mail address?

Jeremy Breland
itinerant public garden horticulturist
A native of the US Gulf Coast: USDA hardiness zone 8b-9b; AHS heat zone 8-9, Sunset climate zone 28; Trewartha climate classification: Cf-humid subtropical; Hot and humid summers with occasional droughts, warm and wet winters punctuated by cold snaps.

Currently in New Orleans, LA, zone 9b, heat zone 8

Merril,

I don't have a S. rosei for comparison, but here is a 5g S. pumos.

sabal%20pumos(1).JPG

sabal%20pumos(2).JPG

sabal%20pumos(3).JPG

• Upvote 1

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

Jeremy, nice to have another gulf coaster on the board! I encorage you to post and shaare yoour palms and cold hardy tips with us! :)

Here are some photos of the palm in question:

rosei : http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Curre...tail/06876.html

http://members3.boardhost.com/HardyPalm/msg/1211680463.html

http://www.palmislandnursery.com/sitebuild.../sabalrosei.jpg

pumos: many photos up close of pumos on FBG http://palmguide.org/images.php?family=are...amp;genus=sabal

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Hi Dr. Wilcox,

I looked up Zona's monograph on Sabal and found the descriptions for Sabal pumos and Sabal rosei. I am including just the trunk, leaf, and fruit description since I assume yours isn't flowering.

In the monograph it mentions S. pumos, S. rosei, and S. uresana are related and share a common ancestor and that S. pumos has the largest fruit of the 3.

Sabal pumos

Slender, 15m tall, trunk 13-35 cm gray smooth, leaves 15-25 evenly green, strongly costapalmate, filiferous, petioles 1.9-3.6 cm wide, 1-2m long, hastula acute 5-15.2 cm long, glabrous or glabrescent, margin of hastula erect and undulate or occasionally involute, flat, or revolute and entire, segments 60-80 per leaf, connate for 30% of length, middle segment 80-150 cm long, 1.8-4.0 cm wide, .2-.3 mm thick, apex bifurcate for 20-30 cm, fruit oblate spheroidal, greenish brown-black, thick pericarp 18.5-27.8 mm diameter, 14.5-22.6 mm high, seed strongly oblate concave 11.8-18.8 mm in diameter 7.5-11.2 mm high

Sabal rosei

Slender palm 15m tall, trunk 15-30 cm DBH gray,smooth, leaves 10-30 evenly green, strongly costapalmate, filiferous, petioles 1.8-2.4 cm wide, 1-2 m long, hastula acute 5.1-7.0 cm long, glabrescent (often with lepidote pubescence on adaxial surface of midveins), margin of hastula flat and undulate, occasionally revolute, involute, or erect, segments 60-80 per leaf connate for 25% of their length, middle segment 55-110 cm long, 2.3-4.3 cm wide, 0.2-0.3 mm thick, apex bifurcate for 30-40 cm (rarely undivided), fruit oblate spheroidal, greenish brown black, medium to thick pericarp 15.3-22.4 mm in diameter, 13.5-20.1 mm high, seed strongly oblate concave, 10-15.5 mm in diameter, 6.4-8.7 mm high

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Wow,

Those descriptions are similar!

Any lepidote pubescence on its adaxial midveins? :)

Merrill, good luck on keying them out.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Dear Robert :)

thanks for the visuals...And the visual-man(me) very happy seeing those S.beauties & hi res stills..

Dear Robert keep up the good work..!

lots of love to you,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Luke, Robert. Eric: Many TX for your info! Unfortunately, more data has resulted in more uncertainty.

TO: Ed Brown: Did we get to the habitat of S. pumos?

Hi, Jason: You sound extremely expert. Can I get you to look at it in GVL?

Best Wishes, merrill

Merrill

We sure did!--- I believe it was on the way back from the abortive visit to see Felix in Bucerious. I have a few plants growing after all these years

Best wishes,

Ed

Frito, thanks for your welcome! I've been on-board for a long while, but as you can see, I'm not very active on the forum in spite of my passionate love affair with palms. Yes, it's definitely nice to see gulf-coasters on here. I hope to be more active on this forum from now on and benefit from the wealth of information on here.

As for S. rosei vs. S. pumos, I have no clue. Never had the opportunity to study these palms up-close & personal.

Jeremy Breland
A native of the US Gulf Coast: USDA hardiness zone 8b-9b; AHS heat zone 8-9, Sunset climate zone 28; Trewartha climate classification: Cf-humid subtropical; Hot and humid summers with occasional droughts, warm and wet winters punctuated by cold snaps.

Frito, thanks for your welcome! I've been on-board for a long while, but as you can see, I'm not very active on the forum in spite of my passionate love affair with palms. Yes, it's definitely nice to see gulf-coasters on here. I hope to be more active on this forum from now on and benefit from the wealth of information on here.

As for S. rosei vs. S. pumos, I have no clue. Never had the opportunity to study these palms up-close & personal.

From another Gulf Coaster, good to see you posting. I need all of the help I can get here on the "third coast." So many things seem unproven here, one way or the other.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Hi, Jason: You sound extremely expert. Can I get you to look at it in GVL?

Merrill,

I will try and swing by and check out your sabals and take some pictures if you think it would be useful.

These are the younger sabals near your S. uresana, correct?

I'll give you a call before I head over.

Also, I'm no expert!

Keep in mind that I've only seen one S. pumos at Fairchild and I've never seen S. rosei in the flesh. S. pumos kinda reminded me of a sabal version of L. decora, while the pictures of S. rosei make it look like a smaller, "daintier" version of S. palmetto. The leaf form appears to be the easiest way to tell them apart.

Anyway, I'll go see if the mid veins are more rough than glabrescent ...

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Merrill,

We collected seeds of S. pumos palms--- I a m sure I have a few photos of the hill side as well as the S. rosei along the rail road.

I will try to find and scan. I dont remember anything very distinquishing about the plants --- they are different but still simular to a S palmetto-- not real distinctive like S. mauritiformis, domingenis, ureseana etc.

Best regards,

Ed

Hi, Tank:

Thanks; look forward to hearing frrom you.

Hi, Ed:

Which of the two Sabal were we looking at when the kids started playing with the rental car way down the hill?

Thank you fellows for your help.

Best Wishes, merrill

Merrill,

S. pumos and S. rosei are VERY similar. You'll need fruits and seeds to see the difference. They are both beautiful palms, so whatever you have, it will be nice!

Scott

Scott Zona, Ph.D.
USA

Ed,

Thanks for the Sabal link. It's one of the best I've seen. I think it should be mentioned that aside from the dwarf Sabals that have little or no trunk, that most of the others look so much alike, that it would take an expert to tell them apart. Most of them are quite cold hardy, but a few aren't, and they all like heat.

Dick

Richard Douglas

It's true, most Sabal look more-or-less alike. S. pumos has the largest fruits in the genus (and they're edible!). It would be interesting to see if S. pumos does well in California. It's not a coastal species (as most are); it grows at middle elevations (600-1300 meters) in southwest Mexico. It MAY be a bit more cold-tolerant than other species.

Scott Zona, Ph.D.
USA

Scott,

Merrill and I used your monograph in 1994 to navigate through Mexico to see various species of Sabals. This is the only way we could make sense of the differnt plants and locations. We drove all through Morelios to find some of the locations to see S. pumos.

I recognize in these days of GPS everything is more defined. but at the time there was no way we could find little populations of obscure taxa without the benefit of your monograph.

Dick,

Much obliged this virtual herbarium that FTG is very helpful and has taught me so much (late in life). I live way north in FLorida where you cant grow many species but I am able to navigate through the various herbarium sheets to see specific differences in the seeds flowers etc. Information that to which, I would not otherwise be privy.

Best regards,

Ed

Edible fruits?! Very interesting! Any idea if the fruits are palatable, though? (A lot of plant material are edible but not palatable, that is, containing no toxins that harm us but not exactly pleasant to try to eat.) If it is palatable, that's another reason to try S. pumos in my garden.

A tidbit of interesting cold-hardiness info about S. rosei: Haynes Jackson in Anniston, AL, reported that his juvenile S. rosei endured 8F without damage.

Jeremy Breland

Hi, Scott:

Haven't seen you for ages! Hope all is well. Guess I'll just wait for my pumos/rosei to show itself by blooming and fruiting. Thanks for your response; sorry to be so slow; computer misbehaviour delayed me.

Scott, you're a high quality botanist, can you offer advice on red GROlights to enhance blossoming - like where the light receptors [if any] are on the plant?

Many Thanks and Best Wishes, merrill

• 4 years later...

Bump! I was looking for sabal pumos for a while because of the large edible fruit and finally got a hold of a decent size specimen. Has anyone actually tried the fruit and is it any good? Since it grows at some elevation in Southwest Mexico, one would think it would do well at sea level in California provided it gets Summer water.

Bump! I was looking for sabal pumos for a while because of the large edible fruit and finally got a hold of a decent size specimen. Has anyone actually tried the fruit and is it any good? Since it grows at some elevation in Southwest Mexico, one would think it would do well at sea level in California provided it gets Summer water.

Oooh, some photos of new acquisition would be nice to see. I think it should do well for you. Sabals prefer to get into the ground ASAP. Its the time of the year to plant!

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Oooh, some photos of new acquisition would be nice to see. I think it should do well for you. Sabals prefer to get into the ground ASAP. Its the time of the year to plant!

I'm working on that. Should be in the ground before the end of the week. Here is a photo, it's interesting how narrower and upright growing s. pumos is compared to the other ones.

7BF91E7E-67FA-4979-B2D0-452335C421A0-111

• 1 year later...

Bump again. It's been over a year since I planted the sabal pumos, it's quite fast (for a sabal that is). I also have a rosei that was a small three leaf blade plant last year, and this year it's forming characteristic leaves, but it turns out to be blue. Is sabal rosei blue? The Palm beach palm and cycad sabal key I have shows only uresana to have blue leaves so what I thought to be rosei is probably yet another uresana.

• 4 years later...

Bump. Post you pics of sabal pumos. It's been several years just wondering how there doing out there :D

Btw anyone in z 8b should try this one.  Extremely cold hardy.

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Very nice! How long have they been in the ground?  Any winter damage to the mexicana?

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Keep the pics coming! 

pumos is a better tree IMO

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I'm actually a little disappointed in Mexicana in my experience. Not as cold hardy when first planted out. Although I know once established its a tough sabal I'd have to say pumos wins in hardiness when both planted from 15gal's. Mexicana died on me it's first winter :/ 

Mexicana was always one of my favorites when I first started getting into sabals followed by  Sabal Birmingham & Riverside. But I have to say Sabal pumos is a very pretty & slender sabal! Honestly I love them all! :D:D:D

• Upvote 1