IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ryan/Palmarum's Costa Rica thread

bgl

Ryan,

I'm happy to see that you've finally sorted out all your Costa Rica photos and that you're ready to begin posting! I know I'm not the only one looking forward to this! :)

At some point within the next couple of months, we will add Biennial photos & info to the IPS website. Considering your professional approach and excellent coverage we may, among other things, simply add this entire thread to the Costa Rica 2008 link on the website. However, in order to avoid having to do major editing, it would be great if EVERYBODY who has a comment OR question to your thread could post it here IN THIS THREAD so that we can keep your Costa Rica thread completely "clean". In other words, only YOUR commentary and photos. I know this is a somewhat unorthodox approach, but I have a hunch the thread will be long enough as it is (which is great), and adding, potentially hundreds of additional posts would make editing rather time consuming.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Any word on bus #3 ? I spoke to someone last night from that bus and I asked him about bus #4 and he said, and I quote "we don't mention bus #4" unquote.

Did people mix well with other buses or did you stay within your own bus mob all the time ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hey, that's me in the back seat of that taxi in post # 2 :lol: I have to thank Jeff in Costa Rica for his slick taxi flag down moves :mrlooney: Nothing personal to the speakers that night, we simply felt like this :blink: by that time. Which leads me to the question, were the lectures captured for future viewings?

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Wal,

The way the buses were divided was good and bad. Good because people who knew eachother or were from the same general area or spoke the same language were put together. You had a good time with your friends.

Bad because you did not get to meet people you would normally not meet. Not enough intermingling. Some people felt more at ease with people who spoke their language so they asked to be put on a different bus. Not only that, but because many of the venues were too small to handle large groups, the buses were separated even more. At one National Park we visited, the people from bus 4 entered from one end while bus 3 entered from the other, with both groups meeting in the middle of the trail and the buses meeting us at the other end.

With 182 attendees, 8 or 10 bus drivers and tour guides, several hosts at different venues, there was over 200 people to keep track of. An impossible task. I did not get to talk to everyone I wanted to as there was so much going on. I think the IPS and Leland Lai (the IPS Director who organised the Biennial) did a fantastic job, but the event was too large to be called "intimate".

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

junglegalfla Posted Today, 08:31 PM

Hey, that's me in the back seat of that taxi in post # 2 I have to thank Jeff in Costa Rica for his slick taxi flag down moves ...

Bren, I have an even better photo coming up of you hanging out the window of that very taxi...

Ryan

South Florida

I agree 100% with Jerry. It would have been great with more interaction between the different groups. However, that simply was not an option in Costa Rica, where we were either limited to a certain number of people entering a national park at a particular time, or for just plain practical reasons. Those little gondolas at the aerial tram only held 6 people (plus the guide). It would have taken us forever if all 180 had shown up at the same time!

I don't have enough info about the planned Biennial in Rio in Brazil in 2010 at this point, but I'm hoping the group will be able to stay together more than was the case in CR. And based on the Biennial in Thailand in 1998 I'm convinced we won't have ANY difficulties in 2012 in Thailand. Even with 300 participants. And we may well get that many.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Ryan, glad to see you are posting your pics! I've been looking forward to it.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Hey, that's me in the back seat of that taxi in post # 2 :lol: I have to thank Jeff in Costa Rica for his slick taxi flag down moves :mrlooney: Nothing personal to the speakers that night, we simply felt like this :blink: by that time. Which leads me to the question, were the lectures captured for future viewings?

Gee thanks Bren... :lol: When I saw that photo I thought "good, you can't see me in the front seat"!

Seriously though, that first day was 12+ hours and for me, it was just a little too long to be on an organized tour. But, we altered the schedule to fit our needs and I still had a great time!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

I should have mentioned that we're still in the discussion phase regarding Biennial information/photos that will be on the IPS website. There are of course many great photos in the various threads right here on the Costa Rica sub-forum and we'd like to use a number of them. At this point we're in process of deciding how to proceed. If anyone is interested in helping out, let me know!

Bo-Göran

Dear Ryan :)

like always iam very eagerly waiting to see Costa Rica from your eye point of view ! since proffessional photographers veiw & explore the ambience,which is more breathtaking & the stills are alive ! And i request you not to post as small thumbnails...Please. :unsure:

Since you & your photgraphy has its own fan following of which even i happen to be a member of that fan club :hmm:

hope to see your coverage soon... :drool:

thanks & love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hey, that's me in the back seat of that taxi in post # 2 I have to thank Jeff in Costa Rica for his slick taxi flag down moves ...

Bren, I have an even better photo coming up of you hanging out the window of that very taxi...

Ryan

GRRR!! I had that shot too but that memory card is MIA and I lost 300 pics from that day :angry: I'll have to live vicariously through you Ryan. :D

Did you get a pic of those weird vendors at Inbio? My shot of the Swedish lady is the one I regret losing the most!

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Ryan

GRRR!! I had that shot too but that memory card is MIA and I lost 300 pics from that day :angry: I'll have to live vicariously through you Ryan. :D

Did you get a pic of those weird vendors at Inbio? My shot of the Swedish lady is the one I regret losing the most!

OMG...I remember her, very tall and my first thought was that it was kind of like seeing the flying nun meets princess lea but on crack & selling cheese. :lol: I'm from WI too but I've never seen that ancestral attire. As far as your missing pics, sorry to hear about that but the less pics I see of me online the better :rolleyes:

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

putu enjula Posted Today, 06:39 PM

GRRR!! I had that shot too but that memory card is MIA and I lost 300 pics from that day angry.gif I'll have to live vicariously through you Ryan. biggrin.gif

junglegalfla Posted Today, 07:35 PM

OMG...I remember her, very tall and my first thought was that it was kind of like seeing the flying nun meets princess lea but on crack & selling cheese. laugh.gif I'm from WI too but I've never seen that ancestral attire. As far as your missing pics, sorry to hear about that but the less pics I see of me online the better rolleyes.gif

Angela,

Yes, I know exactly who you mean and yes I got her photo. :D

I think she was Dutch since one vendor mentioned it was sort of a 'Dutch products fair', but I can't remember exactly as it was hectic just walking through there.

When I first heard of your missing memory card I almost had a heart attack as that is a huge fear of mine. Did you actually lose a card or re-used one accidentally? If you deleted the photos versus formatting the card there is a chance the photos could still be on the card. If it was formatted, they are gone. There are a few recovery programs out there that could be used to scan the card and look for deleted photos.

Ryan

South Florida

Ryan:

It is always a pleasure to enjoy your pictorial threads and comments, and this Biennial coverage is once again highly appreciated.

Congrats. Keep the photos coming...

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Aloha Ryan – Mahalo Mucho for the great job of posting photos and commentary!

Your new palm pal Dan on Big Island

Dan on the Big Island of Hawai'i / Dani en la Isla Grande de Hawai

Events Photographer roving paparazzi "konadanni"

Master Gardener, University of Hawai’i College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources

Certified Arborist, International Society of Arboriculture

LinkedIn & email: konadanni@gmail.com / Facebook & Twitter & Google Plus: DanTom BigIsland

Does somebody need to start a search party to find Ryan? I understand he wants to be compensated $$$$. :drool:

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff,

I thought you'd be the first to know what happened to Ryan!? We're all waiting! :)

Bo-Göran

Does somebody need to start a search party to find Ryan? I understand he wants to be compensated $$$$. :drool:

Jeff

I bought him dinner....wasn't that a good start? :rolleyes:

Do I have to get our Mom on him? :floor:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Missing in action?

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Ryan,

I really enjoy your thorough approach, and I can understand it must have taken some time to get everything sorted out and ready for PalmTalk! Thanks for all your work, and I'm looking forward to experiencing the Biennial all over again, through your eyes! :)

Bo-Göran

Ryan,

Yes, I do believe Paul was about to forget the "state introductions"! :lol: But, it's easy to lose track of what you meant to say or do when you're up there on the podium, and the spotlight is on you!

Great coverage of the welcome dinner, and I look forward to the rest! :)

Bo-Göran

Outstanding Ryan, this has been my fav read on the forum since the Darwin ratpack tour of 2007. No photo of the aussies being called out at all I see, I know at least 4 folk who went, haven't seen them yet in anyone's pics, apart from Jeanne Price as a Director. None of the aussies who went are forum members though as far as I know.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal Posted Yesterday, 03:10 PM

...No photo of the aussies being called out at all I see, I know at least 4 folk who went, haven't seen them yet in anyone's pics, apart from Jeanne Price as a Director. None of the aussies who went are forum members though as far as I know.

When Australia was introduced, I only saw a few attendees stand up, and they were on the far side of the dining room. The photo did not come out as well because of the distance. I think there were some Australian attendees that were coming in on later flights. Jeanne Price is a Forum member, (jeanne374) although she doesn't post very often. Jeanne and John Price were on Bus #4 with the rest of us, and there should be some photos coming up of them two in action. As for the remaining Aussies, they were scattered on different buses so that might be why there has not been many photos of them. Bruce Golightly from QLD, Australia was on Bus #1, Philip Arrowsmith, Michael Ferrero, Hugh Kunze, David Tanswell and Carmen White, also from QLD, were on Bus #3. To my knowledge, I do not think any of them are Forum members.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan for that info , much appreciated, these guys are fairly low lying characters anyway I suppose, now if the ratpack were there, you would need an extra memory card for sure :lol:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal Posted Yesterday, 03:10 PM

...No photo of the aussies being called out at all I see, I know at least 4 folk who went, haven't seen them yet in anyone's pics, apart from Jeanne Price as a Director. None of the aussies who went are forum members though as far as I know.

When Australia was introduced, I only saw a few attendees stand up, and they were on the far side of the dining room. The photo did not come out as well because of the distance. I think there were some Australian attendees that were coming in on later flights. Jeanne Price is a Forum member, (jeanne374) although she doesn't post very often. Jeanne and John Price were on Bus #4 with the rest of us, and there should be some photos coming up of them two in action. As for the remaining Aussies, they were scattered on different buses so that might be why there has not been many photos of them. Bruce Golightly from QLD, Australia was on Bus #1, Philip Arrowsmith, Michael Ferrero, Hugh Kunze, David Tanswell and Carmen White, also from QLD, were on Bus #3. To my knowledge, I do not think any of them are Forum members.

Ryan

South Florida

Whew! Ryans back! I was gonna get a complex being the "event" that stopped his thread! :huh:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Help! Some of Ryan's photo's are wider than my screen and I have to scroll to read all the text. How to I change my settings to correct this?

Hi Kathryn

Here's what you can do.

Go to your desktop,

right mouse button,

properties,

settings

change the "screen resolution" to 1280 x 1024

Wear your glasses

Good luck, it's worth the change, it's a great thread.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Thanks Wal, but I just checked and I am already at 1280 x 1024. What now?

Get a bigger monitor I suppose.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Kathryn Posted Yesterday, 09:03 AM

Help! Some of Ryan's photo's are wider than my screen and I have to scroll to read all the text. How to I change my settings to correct this?

The photos are posted at 1024x768, which is about the width of a 17" monitor. Your browser is what usually determines how the photos are viewed. Netscape scales the image to fit most of the time. At 1280x1024, the photos should be fairly smaller on the screen. Unless your browser is viewing at its own resolution, I can not think of what the problem may be.

BS Man about Palms Posted Yesterday, 11:02 AM

Whew! Ryans back! I was gonna get a complex being the "event" that stopped his thread! huh.gif

The posts are coming, I could not have stopped on that photo for sure. I am in the middle of some heavy maintenance my main computer [i'm on an alternate machine] that it has been needing for a long time so there will be a slight delay. I have kept putting it off and off, hoping to get through the biennial topic and then work on it, but my main PC has said no way. Once its done I can continue posting, but the maintenance is badly needed. I tried posting through it, but I did not get far.

Ryan

South Florida

Kathryn Posted Yesterday, 09:03 AM

The photos are posted at 1024x768, which is about the width of a 17" monitor. Your browser is what usually determines how the photos are viewed. Netscape scales the image to fit most of the time. At 1280x1024, the photos should be fairly smaller on the screen. Unless your browser is viewing at its own resolution, I can not think of what the problem may be.

BS Man about Palms Posted Yesterday, 11:02 AM

Whew! Ryans back! I was gonna get a complex being the "event" that stopped his thread! huh.gif

The posts are coming, I could not have stopped on that photo for sure. I am in the middle of some heavy maintenance my main computer [i'm on an alternate machine] that it has been needing for a long time so there will be a slight delay. I have kept putting it off and off, hoping to get through the biennial topic and then work on it, but my main PC has said no way. Once its done I can continue posting, but the maintenance is badly needed. I tried posting through it, but I did not get far.

Ryan

Good luck, mi amigo.

Ryan,

It's great to see that you've started posting again in your Costa Rica thread! Hopefully you've got your computer problems sorted out! :)

Bo-Göran

They weren't as much problems as they were maintenance. It has been a while since it has been done, so better time now than later.

Ryan

South Florida

Post# 29 and 30 hotel lobby photos have aussies I know.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Dear Ryan, is this over ? or are you going to drag it out over months ???!!!

Don't get me wrong, I love it , the way you present the photos etc, but could you please just give me and the rest of the world an idea when you may finish ? okay ? :hmm:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

It will take some time to get it complete and posted the way I want it to be presented. I cannot post everyday, for example this was a busy holiday weekend here and I was not near the machine at all. Time is also spent just in getting the photos on photobucket. I try to upload on off-peak hours to save on bandwidth, but that is not always an easy solution to saving time. Time is consumed when squishing a 3 MB file to a few hundred KB while it will sometimes disconnect in the middle of the process; causing me to start all over. There are other online communities I am apart of and they require some of my computer time as well, some as in minor admin roles. I can estimate it will be about 6 pages long and include about 1000 photos, a third of what I took. There are certain photos, albeit a lot of them, that should be posted and not excluded. There have been some instances of identification, that have required me to send out emails and wait for a response before a certain photo can be posted. I have been trying to get these emails sent as far ahead of when these photos will be posted as possible. I try to be as accurate as I can be, even if it takes extra time, I got to make sure I am writting as correct as I can. Most of my large threads have taken time to do as well, so this is nothing new, minus the fact this event involved so many important people. I can't give time to one friend and not another to save time, it would be unfair. I knew as I was at the biennial writting the topic in my head that it was going to take hundreds of hours to do. It will get done.

Ryan

South Florida

Ryan, I fully understand all the time and effort you put in to your threads. Just identifying everyone is a difficult enough job, not to mention all the plants, palms and otherwise that we saw. It may take some extra time but we really appreciate the effort. I think Wal's impatience is a sign that he, as well as others, are really enjoying your thread. I was there, and seeing it through your lens is exciting for me.

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Ryan,

Thanks a lot for all your hard work. And I know for a fact that your thread will be greatly appreciated by lots of people, and as you already know, not just the ones who were fortunate enough to be able to attend the Biennial! Looking forward to the rest of the adventure - whenever you can find the time! :)

Bo-Göran

Ryan,

Thanks a lot for all your hard work. And I know for a fact that your thread will be greatly appreciated by lots of people, and as you already know, not just the ones who were fortunate enough to be able to attend the Biennial! Looking forward to the rest of the adventure - whenever you can find the time! :)

Bo-Göran

Ryan,

I fully agree. I understand all the time it takes for one to put this together. And I also know YOU don't like to do anything second rate. Keep up the good job. Keep um coming......

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.