IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Local Flavor

putu enjula

I always like to take pictures of everyday things when I visit another country...

sorry, most of these shots are through the windows of legendary BUS #4 or a taxi!

post-1234-1210997455_thumb.jpg

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Angela,

Thanks for your pictures of life in Costa Rica. I have not been there for a long time. In the mid 80's I was involved with a Miami company that had an office in San Jose and I spent a bit of time there. Although most of the time I was visiting customers I did manage to get out in the country a bit. It is a beautiful place.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I'll take enjula at her word and post three taken from not-so-legendary bus #1.

Here's one of my better landscapes:

post-279-1211087150_thumb.jpg

Think I may have got that twice. Here is a landscape with nursery buildings:

post-279-1211087216_thumb.jpg

I was impressed with the Ticos' love of tropical colors for their buildings:

post-279-1211087285_thumb.jpg

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Angela,

I look forward to Rio. I haven't been there in a while, but I know the place quite well. I lived there a few years in the 80's and have spent a lot of time there on many occaisions since. There is a big difference to Costa Rica. For one the population of the city of Rio de Janeiro is more than double that of the whole country of Costa Rica, 9 million vs 4 million people. I am sure it will be a good time. I have never seen any city with such a beautiful setting.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I'll take enjula at her word and post three taken from not-so-legendary bus #1.

Here's one of my better landscapes:

post-279-1211087150_thumb.jpg

Think I may have got that twice. Here is a landscape with nursery buildings:

post-279-1211087216_thumb.jpg

I was impressed with the Ticos' love of tropical colors for their buildings:

post-279-1211087285_thumb.jpg

Thanks for contributing! :)

Do you have more?

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Angela,

I look forward to Rio. I haven't been there in a while, but I know the place quite well. I lived there a few years in the 80's and have spent a lot of time there on many occaisions since. There is a big difference to Costa Rica. For one the population of the city of Rio de Janeiro is more than double that of the whole country of Costa Rica, 9 million vs 4 million people. I am sure it will be a good time. I have never seen any city with such a beautiful setting.

dk

I just hope I have the opportunity to go!

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Great shots Angela. It was nice meeting you in CR.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Angela,

All your pics. are great. Some scenes that I don't remember. Thanks, and go back to being sneaky..... :)

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Nice meeting you in person in C.R. Angela. You sure take some great photos. I have a few pics to add that I believe would be appropriate for this thread.

While riding the bus to and from the various places we visited I saw many very nice modest Cost Rican homes and front gardens many with beautiful wraught iron fences or gates with long narrow red tile roof covering. When I finally decided to try snap some pics of them it was toward the end of our Biennial time and very difficult to get decent photos from a fast moving bus. Here are two very poor examples but better than nothing I guess - at least it gives you some idea of the "look". The houses in and around San Jose usually had high iron fencing while those out and in the smaller towns and more rural areas did not. Sorry I missed those nice ones but here are two anyway.

post-90-1211531840_thumb.jpg

post-90-1211532091_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Two rural agricultural scenes in the Central Valley.

post-90-1211532913_thumb.jpg

post-90-1211532930_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

I'm going to add some pics of when Bus #4 had a blow out and managed to pull over to a "safe" place.... for those who did not see these in the other thread.

Here's the safe place...

post-1234-1211571264_thumb.jpg

post-1234-1211571386_thumb.jpg

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Here's across the street... Bus #4 always followed directions..

post-1234-1211572380_thumb.jpg

th_DSCF0299.jpg

Here's Andre playing checkers with one of the locals...

post-1234-1211572518_thumb.jpg

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Great pictures...I can't believe they are actually repairing that road :)......when I was there 10 years or so ago...It seemed as if no one ever repaired any of the roads there. You could drive off into a road crater and not be found for days.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Enjula has invited more contributions, so I'll put out a few more. (I haven't been on the forum for a week - too busy.) Here's another big landscape scene:

post-279-1211674171_thumb.jpg

Here's a little store by the road (million dollar view from the back porch!):

post-279-1211674188_thumb.jpg

Mike

Mike Merritt

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Here's across the street... Bus #4 always followed directions..

post-1234-1211572380_thumb.jpg

Johnny kept saying, "Do not cross the road - it's too dangerous". We weren't out of the bus 30 seconds before 20 people were on the other side of the road. LOL! You had to be there!

Larry Davis

Time flies like an arrow,

But fruit flies like a banana

More CR views. Here's a closer up and friendlier look at CR farmland:

post-279-1211689158_thumb.jpg

And here are a couple street scenes in a suburban town we passed through on the way back to San Jose from Carara NP:

post-279-1211689181_thumb.jpgpost-279-1211689193_thumb.jpg

MM

Mike Merritt

One last set of pics from the San Jose City Tour that I took on Friday. I was the only one from our hotel. The guide spoke fluent English and was well versed in CR history and the social framework. This is a public square in downtown San Jose in front of the National Cathedral (Catholic, of course):

post-279-1211742685_thumb.jpg

We also visited the Opera House, and I was captivated by some statues standing by the entrance to various venues within the building. They were sculpted in the 19th century by an Italian whose name I don't recall. These two (l. to r.) are Dance and Music:

post-279-1211742673_thumb.jpg

In a large meeting/convocation room was this statue called Fame:

post-279-1211742699_thumb.jpg

The young lady was an Indian tourist. She and her husband were a little tense when they realized I had gotten her in this picture, but it was inadvertant. In fact, her bright colors tend to draw attention away from the statue.

Finally, there were these two statues, (l. to r.) Comedy and Tragedy:

post-279-1211742659_thumb.jpg

That does it for my non-palm pictures.

MM

Mike Merritt

One last set of pics from the San Jose City Tour that I took on Friday. I was the only one from our hotel. The guide spoke fluent English and was well versed in CR history and the social framework. This is a public square in downtown San Jose in front of the National Cathedral (Catholic, of course):

post-279-1211742685_thumb.jpg

We also visited the Opera House, and I was captivated by some statues standing by the entrance to various venues within the building. They were sculpted in the 19th century by an Italian whose name I don't recall. These two (l. to r.) are Dance and Music:

post-279-1211742673_thumb.jpg

In a large meeting/convocation room was this statue called Fame:

post-279-1211742699_thumb.jpg

The young lady was an Indian tourist. She and her husband were a little tense when they realized I had gotten her in this picture, but it was inadvertant. In fact, her bright colors tend to draw attention away from the statue.

Finally, there were these two statues, (l. to r.) Comedy and Tragedy:

post-279-1211742659_thumb.jpg

That does it for my non-palm pictures.

MM

Wow thanks for posting those... it's nice to see a side of Costa Rica that I didn't get to see! :)

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

I'm going to add some pics of when Bus #4 had a blow out and managed to pull over to a "safe" place.... for those who did not see these in the other thread.

Here's the safe place...

Click on the thumbnail and display it at full size/resolution and see if you can tell what was on the Big Screen at the Safe Place. What an incredible talent show. I am so glad someone memorialized this historic event.

Larry Davis

Here's the safe place...

Click on the thumbnail and display it at full size/resolution and see if you can tell what was on the Big Screen at the Safe Place. What an incredible talent show. I am so glad someone memorialized this historic event.

SHHHH!!!!! LARRY!!!! You weren't supposed to draw attention to that!! Now I might have to moderate myself!! :angry: But really, it's a documentary on Lodoicea wearing bikinis. :lol:

You should have seen my other pics of what was on the Big Screen... there's no way I can post those!!

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

SHHHH!!!!! LARRY!!!! You weren't supposed to draw attention to that!! Now I might have to moderate myself!! :angry: But really, it's a documentary on Lodoicea wearing bikinis. :lol:

You should have seen my other pics of what was on the Big Screen... there's no way I can post those!!

I am so new at this :( I saw so much that I just failed to document. I was taking pictures of Palm Trees. Frigging PALM TREES! We were having so much fun and I was busy taking pictures of palm trees :angry:

Well, I was still there, and I still remember it! :winkie:

Larry Davis

• 2 weeks later...

Aloha Angela,

Regarding your Post #33: about those jaw-dropping B-E-E-G SCR-E-E-E-EN videos...

ay Chihuahua! - who would have guessed that our Costa Rican adventure would be so, well… educational…

Dan on Big Island

Dan on the Big Island of Hawai'i / Dani en la Isla Grande de Hawai

Events Photographer roving paparazzi "konadanni"

Master Gardener, University of Hawai’i College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources

Certified Arborist, International Society of Arboriculture

LinkedIn & email: konadanni@gmail.com / Facebook & Twitter & Google Plus: DanTom BigIsland

I was sitting at the bar directly in front of the Big Screen, and I must say my beer was 'delicious'. :winkie:

San Francisco, California

This is a picture of the statue at the National Cathedral. The enscription read: "LEVANTAOS! VAMOS! NO TANGAISMEIDO, CHRISTO ESTA CON VOSTROS. Perhaps one of you bi-linguals can translate for us.

post-1727-1212632933_thumb.jpg

Welcome Jayanne!!!!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Here's the safe place...

Since I was working on the flat so much I didn't see much "big screen"...... My email address is "tvrdude@netz....... :drool:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

This is a picture of the statue at the National Cathedral. The enscription read: "LEVANTAOS! VAMOS! NO TANGAISMEIDO, CHRISTO ESTA CON VOSTROS. Perhaps one of you bi-linguals can translate for us.

Get up! Let's go! Have no fear, Christ is with you.

I get by with a little help from my fronds