IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bismarckia nobilis

Kathryn

Someone sent me pictures of this beautiful Bismarckia nobilis beginning to bloom for the first time and I just had to share them. It was planted from a 3 gallon container around 1993 in Galveston, which is a small island off the coast of Texas about 50 miles southeast of Houston. The sender stated that he rarely gets frost or below the upper 20’s (-2ºC).

post-158-1210720245_thumb.jpg

post-158-1210720263_thumb.jpg

Can anyone identify this as a male or female yet?

Does anyone have pictures of Bismarckia nobilis blooms as they progress through seed development?

Tad (Palmotrafficante) put some up earlier. Check post #845 and #854 in this thread http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...9336&st=840.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

It looks like a male. I have a male and female and will take a picture tomorrow and post it if someone does not between now and then.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Nice.......sure hope they prove hardy for my region...........just bought 2 more 7 gallons ($30 each)........one with great color.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Kathryn - Thanks for sharing those beautiful pics!!!!!! What a beauty. :mrlooney:

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Dear Kate :)

thanks for those lovely stills of bismarkia.and its a new news to me that in bismarkia we have the male & female species.i hope my palms are all female,since it will be better for seeds distrubution.last month my californian date palm turned out to be a male...Bad news ! :blink:

Love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

It looks like he is pulling off a nice Satakentia next to it....can you ask him if that is what it is behind the Bismarckia?

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

I just had my first inflorescence as well.Mine is eight years old from seed.It was three years in a pot and almost five years in the ground.It is also a male.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Here are pictures of my male and female Bismarkias. Mine are the green type.

Female Tree:

post-1490-1210779156_thumb.jpg

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

Male Tree:

post-1490-1210779354_thumb.jpg

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

It looks like he is pulling off a nice Satakentia next to it....can you ask him if that is what it is behind the Bismarckia?

Good eye Christian! That is a Satakentia. In the yard, there is also Ravanea species, Syagrus Romanzoffiana, Roystonea elata (20+feet), Wodyetia, Dictosperma, Roystonea regia, fruiting McArthur, Areca vestaria, Pritchardia affinis, Dypsis cabadae, Syagrus schizophylla and Cocothrinazargentata.

Lovely Bizzie boy, Kate.

I can`t wait to see mine here starting to trunk and flower too.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Lovely Bizzie boy, Kate.

I can`t wait to see mine here starting to trunk and flower too.

It's a beautiful palm and a fast grower too!

South Florida, USA

Mild sub tropical climate - USDA Zone 10

26.9 deg. North latitude

Altitude (5.1 M)  

Winter avg. temp (15.6 C)

Summer avg. temp (28.1 C)

Yearly Rainfall approx. (1270 mm)

Someone sent me pictures of this beautiful Bismarckia nobilis beginning to bloom for the first time and I just had to share them. It was planted from a 3 gallon container around 1993 in Galveston, which is a small island off the coast of Texas about 50 miles southeast of Houston. The sender stated that he rarely gets frost or below the upper 20’s (-2ºC).

Some great shots Kathryn. I always wondered why they wrote a song called "Galveston, Oh, Galveston"!

Kathryn, do you know the palm's owner? I stopped by the house once to talk to him, but only his son was there and he didn't know anything about the palms, not even approximate ages. I drove by there every now and then, since its only 6 miles from my old house, and I always thought the Satakentia was just a king (you just don't come by Satakentias in Galveston).

I'm also interested in seeing the Pritchardia and seeing how it looks after a Galveston winter.

Thanks for posting!

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

• 2 weeks later...

Brian - The owner's name is Henry and he is a member of the Louisiana Palm Society. He says that the Pritchardia affinis has been in the ground four or five years - it has never been damaged. PM me and I will send him your e-mail address.

Funny thing is I have a couple of pics from his yard as well, Ive stopped in to speak to him 2 different times and both times missed him. I pass by his place almost every day. I actually walked all around his yard about 8 years ago looking for a lost cat from the vet next door....( but thats another story from before I was bitten by the palm bug) one of these days, Im going to catch him at the house and visit, ive never met a palm person I didnt like. it was actually his bizmark that originally caused me to get bitten by the palm bug! It is by far the largest one youll find anywhere around these parts.

Im going to attach a few pics from the yard that are probably about 18months old.

DSC03912.jpg

DSC03904.jpg

DSC03910.jpg

DSC03908.jpg

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"