IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What's your average monthly water bill?

DoomsDave

Average water bill  

49 members have voted

1. 1. 0 - $100 a month

• 100-200 a month
    • 200-300 a month
    • 300-400 a month
    • 400-500 a month
    • 500-1000 a month
    • 1000+ a month

So how much do you spend on watering your gardens every month?

I average about $150, though it ranges from about $200 in the hot of summer to about $50 in the wet (I wish!) of winter . . . .

How about you?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I'm at about $200/month at the height of summer here in Woodland Hills; this year I"ve switched a few beds over to succulents in an attempt to lower the bill, and also grow plants that are more suitable to my climate.

San Fernando Valley, California

Once I figured out how to water more efficiently my water bill dropped quite a bit. As I mentioned in another thread I don't use sprinklers but hand water instead.

What gets me is DWP (the water people) add on a large sewer fee for the water used - which is robbery. The majority of water used is for the yard. :rage: Then the taxes and fees. :angry: and it just goes on and..........

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

I have a bore. So there wasn't any choice on the poll that was low enough.

$200 a month??????? That's a lot

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I irrigate with free lake water. My last bill was high at $55, :mrlooney:

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I can't vote...

I don't want to rub it in... but your poll doesn't go low enough.

I am on city water and I pay about $25 per month.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff in Modesto

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

l'm on a Rural Electric cooperative. I'm tempted to use a separate meter [i have a couple surplus unused] to see how much my irrigation well water costs, but expect it isn't much. merrill

merrill, North Central Florida

Re do this poll Dave , you are way out for me. I'm about $7 a month.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

OW!

sORRY.

sING karaoeke . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Our water bill is less than $1 a month. Time to recalibrate the poll Dave!

currently paying 7 dollars per acre foot of water, add electricity to pump abot 47 dollars a month for the whole farm,

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

I have three wells but have to pay for electricity to run the pump at $.26 KWH and pay for gas to run the gasoline pumps which at this moment is about $4.25 gal. so I am in the $200 range.This is for a large garden 2+acres on pure sand.I try to plant in islands using plants with similar needs.We hand water everything.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Flat rate water bill $15

Public gas utility much cheaper than Baton Rouge area.

Electricity provided by a co-op much cheaper than Entergy.

All of this in the booming metropolis of Fordoche Louisiana (pop 1,468)

Fordoche, LA

USDA zone 8b

National Arbor Day zone 9

AHS zone 9

Sunset zone 28

Gulf Coast climate with long hot and humid growing season, but short winters are cold and wet with several frosts. Typical lowest temp of between 22F-26F each winter with around a dozen or so nights below freezing.

I have well and lake water so my bill is just the cost of the electricity to run the pumps. They don't monitor well or lake water usage where I live. I use the lake water for the irrigation and the well water as a back up and for the seedlings.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

I don’t have to water my yard much due to receiving about 68 inches if rain evenly throughout the year. I hand water newly planted palms for a month or so. If I don’t get rain for a week or two, I hand water plants that have been in the ground for less than 6 months or so. My water bill is about $50 per month year round and includes sewage and garbage.

$45 is my highest ever Dave. With 250 feet of soaker hoses and another 100 feet of micro-jet overheads, coverage is fantastic. For all the bromeliads though, a couple of trashcans filled with water, left to sit for a few days gives me "purified" water. Proper irrigation techniques are traits I see lacking in many gardens, novice to experienced.

I am on a well, and do not receive a water bill from anyone, electricity I would guess would be about 25 bucks a month for the well pump.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

I have a well, my city water is about $50. But my electric runs about

$250 to $300 a month.

Growing rare palm in Central Florida

Zone 10a

Bruce

Dave, I understand why you used those choices for your poll because you are in Southern California, like me. We spend between $50-$100. But we also have a pool that needs topping off a lot during the summer months.

BTW, your 0-$100 choice was not set correctly.

Joe

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Benefits of living in a rainforest jungle, zero water costs. I have a 5500 water catchement tank (not very big) which never dips below 30% capacity during the "droughts". Annually we receive 150 inches of rain.

The biggest challenge where i live is not what can you grow, but rather what you can prevent from growing.

Doug Wasmuth

Pahoa, Hi.

About $80 to $90 a month. I am stuck on city water. It should be illegal in the state of FL to build new communities without reclaimed water service.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Yeah, I am irrigated with free lake water (retention pond ) as well. My bills are about $65 a month but that has nothing to do with irrigation for the lawn, that is free. However, I would give it all up and pay myself If i was out from under the rule of the HOA association. Half of my plantings are off the radar. I plant in the secrecy of night. haha.

My HOA is a bunch of freaks.

Joe Tyler

1/2 mile from the Atlantic on Barrier Island

Zone: >9A <11 (nobody knows for sure) but warm enough for me to risk it all.

slatchmk3.jpg

Sleestaks love cycads !

I can't vote. :angry: Water bill is only $30 a month. 60+ rain a year and silty clay/loam soils to thank for that. :winkie:

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Dave,

I can not vote either. I have a well, and I do not have an electric meter, so I do not pay for the energy for the pump. So, my cost is zero.

You did not include this option in your poll.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Joe

I [EXPLETIVE] KNOW.

Sigh.

Sing karaoke . . .

• Upvote 1

Joe

I [EXPLETIVE] KNOW.

Sigh.

Sing karaoke . . .

:lol:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I picked the 100-200 but am really in the lower one that I could not pick. I use about $70 a month.

Because my yard is very long over 700 feet I have two runs of PVC 3/4 inch pipe on each property line. Off these two lines I have water faucets.

From each faucet I'm running a drip system off 1/2 poly pipe. Each faucet has a battery opperated timer that costs $33 at home depot. I have at this time 18 timers. Each turns on for 1 hour twice a week.

I only have city water but because I'm still on a cess pool I have no sewage charge. If I did I'd quit growing palms and go back to only cactus.

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Worst I've ever seen was $151, in the heat of the summer with the pool water change. Mostly its 50-110.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

WOW! Just about everyone here pays waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less than us californians!! Must be nice! Actually, I've got it good right now too. I used to pay about $80 a month which isn't too bad but now I don't pay a dime! We have a pool and it uses a lot of water so our landlord pays for it albeit must cost more with all of my plants.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

I'm at about 150/mo right now with every single plant (over 100 now) being new and trying to get them established. I water by hand right now. I hope to add more plants and also add a drip system which might offset each other.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

$9.50 last month...I don't think I ever broke $20. I am on city water and I think my meter is 'off'

my bills say I use roughly 10 -15 gals a month :rolleyes:

oh yeah and I get about 63" annually

Edited by FRITO

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

We pay a flat rate here so I can use as much as I need without fluctuations. Its $24.73 a month. This along with the richest topsoil on earth are two of the very best reasons to garden here in the great Central Valley of California.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

• 2 years later...

Matt, has your water bill gone down with the drip system, or is that offset by all the new plantings?

$33 per month, a set fee by the well water service here. BUT if I calculated the percent of the water going to landscaping, maybe $5. Max. Most plants, including most palms, just don't need that much supplemental water. A big water user, supposedly, my Acoeloraphe is in a big 15 gallon pot, I have hand watered it 7 times this year. Maybe two gallons each time? Xeriscape works wonders, use the right moisture retention in the soil for each palm, mulch, put high moisture plants in low areas, etc.

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

I definitely need to get A) a well or B) a separate sewer meter. I'm paying Cali rates and all my Floriduh brethern are paying a third or less as I do. Anyone in central FL know the going rate for a well to irrigate? I'm on city water for all other - which is my problem.....

This data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall the providers be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from lost data or lost profits or revenue, the costs of recovering such data, the costs of substitute data, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use the data. Other terms may apply.

Wheres the under $100 water bill to vote?

My water bill portion of my city tax bill generally runs $40.... up from $15 a year ago.

The city claims that the Southern Ca water grab machine- wants north and central Ca to struggle with water issues just like SoCal.... so the cities have been eiggerly raising our water rates.

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f