• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hola de Costa Rica - IPS Biennial

PALM MOD

I am assuming this may be the first post from the IPS biennial in Costa Rica.

Just a short note wishing you were all here, and to demonstrate that if you "mice" are thinking of playing while the "cat" is away...........make my day. :angry:

I'll try to get a few pics posted, but the schedule they have planned here looks grueling.

Be good.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

OH, come on Mr. moderator.........give us a break! You know when the parents are away, the kids will play. Where is my bong and a fifth of Stoley?

Enjoy down there......I predict you will be exhausted and palmed out by the 4th or 5th day. Biennials are fun......something to remember, but the pace is exhausting. I've been to Costa Rica a few times and it's paradise with a few warts. We want to hear about the adventure, the bridge that you wouldn't ride across in a bus, the mosquitoes, the cold showers, and beans and rice with every meal. (which I happen to love). Also the beautiful bird sounds early in the morning, before daylight, and the roar of howler monkeys. Enjoy!!

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

whats a bong?

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Jezz Tad,

I noticed you didn't ask what a fifth of Stoley was. Man, you are stuck far away in S. Texas. Ask any Californian what a bong is and they will tell you. It's a pipe, and I was only speaking in a light hearted manner and methiphorically.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

I am assuming this may be the first post from the IPS biennial in Costa Rica.

Just a short note wishing you were all here, and to demonstrate that if you "mice" are thinking of playing while the "cat" is away...........make my day. :angry:

I'll try to get a few pics posted, but the schedule they have planned here looks grueling.

Be good.

Well, as you said, the schedule is grueling, and we know when you will be away for hours and hours at a time. :evil:

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

whats a bong?

A miniature water pipe, often used to smoke marijuana.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Jezz Tad,

I noticed you didn't ask what a fifth of Stoley was. Man, you are stuck far away in S. Texas. Ask any Californian what a bong is and they will tell you. It's a pipe, and I was only speaking in a light hearted manner and methiphorically.

Dick

What's Stoley?

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Jezz Tad,

Dick

What's Stoley?

Was considered high-end vodka in the day. With the flood of designed vodkas nowadays, who knows if it still is?

I'm a Tanqueray and tonic man myself.

BTW, I don't know ANYTHING about that other stuff, just ask my parole officer... :mrlooney:

Edited by fastfeat

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Jezz Tad,

Dick

What's Stoley?

Was considered high-end vodka in the day. With the flood of designed vodkas nowadays, who knows if it still is?

I'm a Tanqueray and tonic man myself.

BTW, I don't know ANYTHING about that other stuff, just ask my parole officer... :mrlooney:

There will always be imitators.

Stoli or Stolichnaya, still is a premium vodka, one of the best IMO.

Hopefully everyone has a great time on the biennial. I wish I could be there, but since I can't have a shot of guaro for me.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Ummm, to get back to Costa Rica..........

I once sat under the shelter of the porch of our cabin in Quepos, playing cards, as a raging thunderstorm had stalled over us. It poured as hard as I've ever seen, with lightening crashing down all around us. It lasted over 3 hours and the rain sounded wonderful on the tin roof. They use insence to detur the mosquitoes in Costa Rica, but it only seemed to attract them, but the insence smelled good. What a wonderfull evening spent with some of my best friends. We learned the next morning there had been local flooding and such a long lastilng cloud burst was unusual.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Sounds like us stay at homes will party, metamorphically, through Dicks psots and wait to see the pictures of all the stuff as Dean gets a chance.

BTW, Dick, do you have an electric one?

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

ELECTRIC???? I have never heard of such a thing....and there is no kind here. I only have an electric toothbrush. :)

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Jezz Tad,

Dick

light headedly ehh dick? :floor: stuck away in south Texas indeed, where do you suppose the majority of that crap gets crossed ? and thank goodness my days of drinking are over, vodka was allright but dewars or cheap beer were my favorite poisons!! I love it how califronians they they have the lock on dope!

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

Hey...this is a COSTA RICA thread!! Just had a great evening with an excellent welcome dinner. And at the Board Meeting we voted to go to the Rio de Janeiro area in Brazil in 2010, so you may want to think about that one! And we have already voted to go to Thailand in 2012. Anders Lindstrom from Nong Nooch Garden made a presentation and for those of you who were at the Biennial in Thailand in 1998, you know what Nong Nooch was like then! Absolutely amazing! Well, what they have done since is absolutely remarkable and for those who go to Thailand in 2012, you will be in for the experience of your life! For one thing, they now have facilities in Nong Nooch, so the entire group will be able to stay there, and that in itself will be an experience.

More later.....

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I am glad you made it there safely Bo. I sure hope I can make it in 2010, that will be even closer to home.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Hey...this is a COSTA RICA thread!! Just had a great evening with an excellent welcome dinner. And at the Board Meeting we voted to go to the Rio de Janeiro area in Brazil in 2010, so you may want to think about that one! And we have already voted to go to Thailand in 2012. Anders Lindstrom from Nong Nooch Garden made a presentation and for those of you who were at the Biennial in Thailand in 1998, you know what Nong Nooch was like then! Absolutely amazing! Well, what they have done since is absolutely remarkable and for those who go to Thailand in 2012, you will be in for the experience of your life! For one thing, they now have facilities in Nong Nooch, so the entire group will be able to stay there, and that in itself will be an experience.

More later.....

And?

What poisons are being consumed?

What hat is the dog wearing?

Edited by Dave from So-Cal

Amazing technology we have these days, and that you guys can stay plugged in from Costa Rica. I was just taking to my buddy in Dubai IMing on AOL. He's 11 hours time difference ahead of Calif. time. I'm sure things have changed a lot in Costa Rica. When I first went there, they had just opened the first McDonalds and Burger King in San Jose..........if you call that progress.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

When I first went there, they had just opened the first McDonalds and Burger King in San Jose..........if you call that progress.

No i don't :lol:

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

I'll sure try to make it to Tahiland 2012. That's close to home for me and get to know lots of you palm nuts... bruno

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

He did not use spell check. It is suspose to be a "d".

whats a bong?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

whats a bong?

As in "bond"?? Living that close to the border, I'm sure Tad knows all about those... :mrlooney:

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

whats a bong?

len dont be snarky, just becasue you guys out in Kali pay triple retail for everything and the D is what you get!

Abraham Lincoln

Oh my!!

I'm afraid I started it but this thread is going in the wrong direction. We may need a new sanatized Costa Rica thread.......and about Costa Rica.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

we don't want another costa rica thread if it won't have any photos like this one...

:P:o

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

OK.........I'm bored today....It was supposed to be a nice warm day, but it became very windy and cool, and not a nice day to work in the garden. I'm also jealous as hell that I'm not in Costa Rica with the group. I was thinking of previous Biennial trips and tours that I've attended. Just for fun here is what I can imagine is happening. Some people are still exhausted from jet lag but they wouldn't miss a thing, so they are dragging along too. They have probably been rideing in a bus much of the day and are arriving at a hotel about now. Some rush to their hotel room to catch a quick snooze, while others head straight for the bar. The Californians sip on Pinot Grigio while the Aussies guzzle beer. The Floridens drink anything with alcohol in it.

Friendships have been made today, but yet it's an eclectic group and certain personalities are being recognized. There is always the couple that is late for the bus in the morning, the couple that insists on sitting in the front seat of the bus, the clown, (one or many) the palm guru's who everyone listens to, the folks who are along just for the ride and don't know a palm from a petunia.

Dinner is had and half the group, feeling exhausted from the long day, heads for bed looking forward to a great tomorrow. The other half stays up until the bar closes. The next day....another chapter and another adventure. Dean stays up and deletes this thread.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Wow!, I am kicking myself for not going to the Costa Rica meeting with you guys, but after the So Cal fires I just lagged and was in a funk. Now I am totally jazzed up about Rio and Thailand. I will go to both of these wonderful places, I must see the Amazon before they burn it all down and Thailand has always been on my wish list.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Very funny thread! Moderator, where are you? You told me you were working tonight :huh:

Maybe a couple pics from today will get this back on track. These were taken at Herrero brothers farm.

Marojejya darianii

DSC_0058.jpg

Not sure what these were but they were spectacular. Maybe Veitchia?

DSC_0102.jpg

DSC_0103.jpg

DSC_0106.jpg

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

Note people in bottom left hand corner for scale

DSC_0139.jpg

DSC_0146.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

A spider we almost walked into

DSC_0164.jpg

Me and Bren (Junglegal) in front of a Corypha

DSC_0172.jpg

A forest of single stemmed Areca vestiarias all with fruit. That's all for now, I have to be up at 6am tomorrow. ¡Pura Vida!

DSC_0173.jpg

This was truly an amazing sight!

DSC_0181.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

Jeff.

Thanks for bringing this thread back to reality! And great pictures! Everyone was in awe of that Corypha! :)

And Dick,

You pretty much hit it on the head (post no. 28)... :lol:

Bo'Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Wowza on the orange vestys. Why haven't we seen these before ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wow!!!

For once I'm speachless.......well almost. That Areca grove is incredable, one of a kind, I'm sure. Keep the pictures coming.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Another 'Wow' on the forest of Areca vestiaria and the Corypha!

I wish I was on that trip! Thanks for the photos.

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

Wow!, I am kicking myself for not going to the Costa Rica meeting with you guys, but after the So Cal fires I just lagged and was in a funk. Now I am totally jazzed up about Rio and Thailand. I will go to both of these wonderful places, I must see the Amazon before they burn it all down and Thailand has always been on my wish list.

Gary

Gary,

Don't worry the Amazon is not burning down and I am sure it will be around for a long time. In order to get to Rio you have to fly over the place, so if you decide to stop coming or going I could show you some palms. I am planning on being in Rio in two years. I will start saving a little money now.

Jeff,

Thanks for the great pictures and bringing this thread back to the subject. Those A. vestuaria palms are incredible. I need to get some of them. Keep the pictures coming.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

These great pictures from Jeff made me even more sorry for not being able to attend the Biennial.

I wish everyone a perfect week and I'm looking forward for many more photos soon.

Warm congratulations to our friend Bo-Göran for his election as our new President. No one else in this planet would be more suited and qualified for the position. Please count on me for anything you need in order to help the International Palm Society to keep on stronger than ever. I'm also very glad to hear that Rio de Janeiro was chosen for the 2010 Biennial. I knew it was going to happen, for what I had heard from Faith Bishock and other palmfriends in Brazil. I called someone in Rio sometime ago and I was told that some Directors of IPS had visited Hermínio in Rio (he is also in Costa Rica at the moment) and expressed the interest. Although I've never met him personally i know he is one of the most famous palm affictionates and nurseryman in this Country.

I'm sure that Rio de Janeiro will host an outstanding and wonderful event and I'd be willing to do my best in order to help IPS and the organizing commitee to achieve this goal. I'm also very excited about visiting Thailand in 2012. I remember John Bishock describing the wonders of Nong Nooch and also I was amazed to see the pictures Chalermchart posted from there a while ago.

Viva o novo Presidente Bo, Viva Costa Rica!

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers