IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cryosophila warscewiczii (albida)

pg6922

When I started collecting palms a month ago or so, it started simple enough... just wanted to add a more "tropical feel" to our back yard. Its funny how the more palms you get the more your taste in landscaping changes.

I now see space for palms I thought was too crowded...

The northwest corner of my house is the shadiest part of my whole property and seemed like a good place for some palms that prefer less than full sun.

Justen at Seabreeze Palms helped me pick a few slow growers for my shady area. Since I use the forum "search" feature , I like to search by "topic title" so I dont have to search through a bunch of post to find a picture or discussion on a certain palm.

I will post the other palms under different topic titles, by their names.

Does anyone know how well these transplant as more mature specimens?

I would love to see pics of others specimens with approx age of palm.

Anyone growing this in SW Florida with success?

Patrick

1spineroot.jpg

2rootspine.jpg

Edited by pg6922
  • Upvote 2

Cape Coral,FL Southwest

Zone 10a

LSUAvatar1-1.jpg

I was smitten with the appearance of the leaves on this palm as a seedling, by their almost unnaturally glaucous undersides. I know it's classified as extinct in its native Honduras and it likes an alkaline soil. I have a dozen or so, year-old seedlings. Looking forward to seeing a few S. Florida-grown specimens.

Nice find, Patrick!

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Can't comment on the Fla experience, but they are a lovely palm, and mine took freezing temps last winter with no damage. The only thing to watch out for is wind...from what I've noticed they don't like it and the leaflets tend to snap easily...keep it sheletered from the wind for the best appearance.

Daryl

post-42-1209297819_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Patrick,I too love this palm.It looks very delicate but is actually very drought tolerant.This is a photo of mine at the beach.It is growing about 300m from the water and gets some shade from a nearby ficus.It receives about five hours of direct sun.Its growing in almost pure sand.I do fertilise frequently.It was a little larger than yours when I planted it four years ago.

DSC00116.jpg

• Upvote 2

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Here are a few pics from my garden. I love these palms, w/ the white/silver undersides of leaf. Most of mine are shade grown. They do not seem to tolerate a lot of wind. I also have these for sale in my nursery.

DSC01373.jpg

DSC01370.jpg

Here are some of the aerial roots starting. There are plenty more starting up the trunk.

DSC01371.jpg

• Upvote 2

Those look great! thanks for the feedback and pictures. I look forward to mine getting some size to it.

Patrick

Cape Coral,FL Southwest

Zone 10a

LSUAvatar1-1.jpg

Here's a canopy of Cryosophila warscewiczii. They were planted in 1999 from 5G pots, so probably a couple of years old at the time. 11-12 years old as of right now. Overall height right now is about 12-15 ft but I have a few others that were planted roughly at the same time and they're pushing 20 ft now (but not easy to get a good photo of).

post-22-1209447923_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I wish Id have known about the wind issues...

I have no where protected from the wind and this palm always looks bad, I wonder if I should just dig it up and make it live on my porch!

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"

We have C. warscewiczii here at Leu Gardens, it actually survived 26F back in 2/96, it was defoliated but came back. Also growing C. williamsii (formerly C. albida) and C. stauracantha (formerly C. argentea).

C. warscewiczii

ce67.jpg

C. williamsii

ff5c.jpg

C. stauracantha

61db.jpg

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I have also seen a C. williamsii in a local garden. It also survived the 26F back in 2/96. It had just been planted the summer before. This is a photo from several years ago. I saw it recently and it is about twice the size now.

25c4.jpg

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 8 years later...

Not such a great photo of my C. warscewiczii, which survived 26º in 2010-11 with no damage, but suffered  broken leaves in wind gusts up to 74 mph in hurricane Matthew this fall. The undersides (abaxial sides) of the leaves are distinctly silvery.  

Crysophila  (1 of 1).jpg

• Upvote 2

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

My Cryosophila before Hurricane Matthew. You don't want to see the after pics. For some reason C. warscewiczii didn't do well here on the beach. I don't think it was salt tolerant.

DSCN0582.JPG

DSCN0583.JPG

• Upvote 2

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

I have this one but thought it might be Cryosophila stauracantha.  Anyone know?  Sorry this is the only photo I have from a couple of months ago..  I need to go out and get one of the stilt roots.  I echo the comment about wind.  I wince every time it's  very windy.  Frequently some of the petioles snap.  This one has more than doubled in size in the last four or five years since it was planted.  Winters so far in Sarasota are no problem for it.

DSC_1908 2.jpg

Edited by annafl

annafl, that's beautiful silver.  My C. warscewiczii isn't as enthusiastic.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

3 hours ago, Dave-Vero said:

annafl, that's beautiful silver.  My C. warscewiczii isn't as enthusiastic.

I think the flash went off and hit it just right.  It turned out better than I thought it would.