IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Boots are Made for Walking - A Thread on Boots

_Keith

Keith,

I have some ostrich boots, but they are in Florida and a bit worse for wear. Maybe I can get some new boots when I go to Montana over the US summer. I wear some Brazilian boots quite a bit, especially when working around sawmills. They are a lot lighter than US boots, sort of made for the tropics. But, they are real comfortable. Other than that I normally wear some topsiders or rubber sandles when not at work. Since I don't have to wear a suit anymore I don't even have any dress shoes.

dk

Boots ARE my dress shoes. Or at least I should say I have dress boots. The Ostrich are super comfortable. The most comfortable I ever owned were Kangeroo skin. Incredible comfort, but expensive and they didn't hold up well. Now I have to admit I am as hard on boots as I am on plants, and everything else for that matter. Same thing for Lizard skin boots. They just don't hold up well for me. I am surprised that Florida has not developed a great niche market for Iguana boots, or maybe they have. If so, I might bring home a pair from my upcoming conference and vacation combination.

I looked at some Elephant skin boots, but they were like iron.

We have a niche market for Alligator boots here. I may try them at some point. I also have a great Rattlesnake belt from a 7 foot Canebreak Rattler that my dad killed. He had matching belts made for us from its skin. I haven't found a pair of boots to match it, but when I do, they are coming home.

Anybody else out there interested in boots?

Let's talk boots?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Probably not what you had in mind, as I try to avoid animal products, but I have a very nice pair of Raichle Scout GTX hiking boots, that are very comfortable and sturdy.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Keith,

Here in Brazil where there are 205 million head of cattle. Virtually all cattle in Brazil are grass fed on open pasture so there are a lot of cowboys. Although different in many ways to the American version there are a lot of similarities as well. The standard gear for the Brazilian cowboy is the Botina. This is the type of boot I mentioned in my post. It is light weight, normally with rubber soles (I had a pair made with airplane tire rubber for soles once), and fit the tropical conditions here quite well. I have a pair that I wear frequently.

Here is an example. They cost around 70 reais, which is about 50 USD a pair.

post-188-1209120740_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I love boots. I had a pair when I was four that my mother says I did not take off for one year because well... I was a cowpoke/police officer/soldier of the woods.I bought a pair of Gator boots now that I do not get to wear as much as I like.Boots are something I would like to know alot more about.

What you look for is what is looking

I love boots. I own a couple of pairs, but really don't wear them much anymore. I have problems ( minor arthrthis) so it hurts when I have them on for awhile. But, I love them with jeans.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Keith,

Here in Brazil where there are 205 million head of cattle. Virtually all cattle in Brazil are grass fed on open pasture so there are a lot of cowboys. Although different in many ways to the American version there are a lot of similarities as well. The standard gear for the Brazilian cowboy is the Botina. This is the type of boot I mentioned in my post. It is light weight, normally with rubber soles (I had a pair made with airplane tire rubber for soles once), and fit the tropical conditions here quite well. I have a pair that I wear frequently.

Here is an example. They cost around 70 reais, which is about 50 USD a pair.

Those are pretty cool. I could definitely see the comfort as a pair of casual summer boots. Great price too. I am gonna look around on the net to see if I can find a place to order some through. - keith

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

In honor of the greatest invention of all time, the cowboy boot,

I humbly submit the lyrics of Gary P. Nunn's most famous song:

London Homesick Blues (most of you know it at the theme

song to "Austin City Limits"):

Well, when you're down on your luck,

and you ain't got a buck,

in London you're a goner.

Even London Bridge has fallen down,

and moved to Arizona,

now I know why.

And I'll substantiate the rumor that the English sense of humor

is drier than than the Texas sand.

You can put up your dukes, and you can bet your boots

that I'm leavin' just as fast as I can.

Chorus

I wanna go home with the Armadillo

Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene

The friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever

seen.

Well, it's cold over here, and I swear

I wish they'd turn the heat on.

And where in the world is that English girl

I promised I would meet on the third floor.

And of the whole damn lot, the only friend I've got

is a smoke and a cheap guitar.

My mind keeps roamin', my heart keeps longin'

to be home in a Texas bar.

Chorus

Well, I decided that I'd get my cowboy hat

and go down to Marble Arch Station.

'Cause when a Texan fancies, he'll take his chances.

Chances will be taken, that's for sure.

And them Limey eyes, they were eyein' the prize

that some people call manly footwear.

And they said you're from down South,

and when you open your mouth,

you always seem to put your foot there.

Repeat chorus

I never wear anything else unless I have shorts on

or expect to get blood on me.

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

"justin ropers crippled more people than polio"

Trainer Evans owner of rios of mercedes boot company.

I have worn boots all my life from justin ropers to tony lamas to red wings and doc martins, lace ups slip ones and combats

i am currently in a pair of laceup redwings!

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Tad

Not that a big fella like you needs a "riding heel", but tell me you're not into goat ropers!

Steve ;-)

I was in my share of tyra youth rodeos, and true enuff I have worn, "roper" boots, owned more cows than I could count at one time, but I have never been a goat roper!

mostly we wore redwing irish setters, you could charge them off as parts at the john deere dealership here in town! justin ropers were more for fancy dress occasions, I have a pair of ariats right now for when I cant wear shorts or have to dress up, but never once have I worried about getting blood on my boots,or oil,chemicals,fertilizers, or cow crap! and those half tall, side zipper boots, we dont play that way around here!

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

Being an Aussie I go with RM Williams for dress boots and Red Back work boots.

Haven't found anything better anywhere in the world.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Tad

By blood I mean stuff like fishin' in AK. For that I need my waterproof Timberlines with a

rubber sole. Yea, don't even mention zip-up's. That smacks of 1970's blacksploitation......

Steve

I hadn't heard from Texas since the Conversion but felt fairly comfortable that if this Topic could not rustle the bootstrappers out of the bramble bushes nothing would.We need a covershot of Steve and Tad wearing nothing but ultra-gleen pink Goatroppers. It would raise alot of money for the IPS.

I have 5 pairs of boots

Redwing Lace-up Steel-toe - for when the real work needs to get done

Lizard - a gift from Dad

Kangaroo

Ostrich

Leather

Or and of course, being in Louisiana, a pair of high rubber di-electric boots, and a pair of white rubber boots, the latter are typically used by fisherman on the Louisiana coast, particuarly shrimpers. They are made from much softer rubber than normal rubber boots, and are known here as "Cajun Nikes."

Oh no...I am going to have to take photos of my boots! With me in them! Give me some time...

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

We all would greatly enjoy those kind of pictures in your boots.Please

ahhhh so comfy!

post-18-1209317842_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Here is my 8 yr old 7th generation Texas boy Wiley sporting his new John Deere boots he got for Christmas this year !

wileynewyears007.jpg

Melbourne Beach, Florida on the barrier island -two blocks from the Atlantic Ocean and 6 homes from the Indian River Lagoon

A fine Young Man very proud of his Boots.As a 7th Generation,he is definitely Empressario material.

He's definitely a cutie.

Ima charging up my camera battery...

Hey, is posting pictures the same on here as before?

Thanks, I'll take only half credit for that boy .....He got his good looks from his Mama's Bohunk roots......

Melbourne Beach, Florida on the barrier island -two blocks from the Atlantic Ocean and 6 homes from the Indian River Lagoon

Okay, here's 2 pairs of boots from my collection. The first pair are vintage 1970's. They were made in Brazil and are real calfskin (I guess) with the hair still on. The "brand" name stamped inside is "Style Setter" :rolleyes: I was lucky enough to find these oh-so-cool bootlets in a little junk shop in Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island, for $15

calfskin.jpg

But these are kinda more my personality. These are lace-up-the-back black boots that are just so wearable with so many things, LOL :rage:

backlace.jpg

Here is my 8 yr old 7th generation Texas boy Wiley sporting his new John Deere boots he got for Christmas this year !

wileynewyears007.jpg

Good looking boy and he has the belt, jeans, and shirt going too. He is stylin :D

i have a decent collection of vintage western boots which i could be coerced into showing off :P

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

i have a decent collection of vintage western boots which i could be coerced into showing off :P

Well then, let's get with it. Show em' to us.

i'll do it tonite after work!

i already posted my bowling shirt collection & aloha shirt collection so western wear might as well be next! B)

still "warning-free."

Picture173.jpg

"vintage boot collection,"by p.kelapa.

Picture174.jpg

seeing stars.

Picture175.jpg

Picture176.jpg

still "warning-free."

Picture177.jpg

the star boots are taller for some reason.

(and dustier!)

still "warning-free."

Picture185.jpg

Picture186.jpg

Picture187.jpg

dont see many like this...

still "warning-free."

Picture188.jpg

the shorter boots were called "pee-wees" i believe.

Picture189.jpg

Picture190.jpg

eagles.

still "warning-free."

Picture191.jpg

Picture192.jpg

Picture193.jpg

these were kinda pricey for a second-hand shop.

still "warning-free."

Picture194.jpg

a classic boot.

Picture195.jpg

thats it,time to ride into the sunset :D

still "warning-free."

Gina, There is something about Attractive,Strong legs in boots on a woman that causes a Wobbly,woobly.Very nice and Thank you.

Pohko-Great substantial collection and Thank you.

Great looking kid! And his pants fit and his shirt is tucked in! Wish I had a daughter his age to marry off to him!

I have worn boots off and on all my life. I was the ultimate tomboy and played cowboys and indians growing up. I always wanted new boots and guns for Christmas.

Now I have a pair of English hunt boots, a pair of lace up winter riding boots, a pair of summer lace up riding boots, a pair of jodphur Bludstones, 2 pairs of Luchese custom boots - both cowhide and plain - , a pair of leopard print wellies, and a pair of rubber riding boots. All are well-worn. No roper heels. Except for the Lucheses, all my other riding boots are Ariats. I can ride and hike in them.

Love my boots. I never could get into wearing the ones for dress. Just too hot! I always think of boots as made for working - not walking! Sort of like pickup trucks.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

I love those yellow boots. Those are primo fine.

Bubba, I got more....

Go, Go, Go......

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!