IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Another Dypsis Id Thread

Tyrone

Well, I've been working the backyard nursery today, weeding, repotting, transporting plants into the new greenhouse. My muscles and bones are aching, so I thought I'd have a coffee, take a couple of pics and post them on good ol' Palmtalk. These two Dypsis's have remained unidentified for me, and since they're looking in good condition, I thought I'd ask what the general concensus is. So, what do ya reckon :) .

Another with yellowy opening new leaf

And another couple of pics of a different Dypsis.

Best regards

Tyrone

post-63-1208937285_thumb.jpg

post-63-1208937351_thumb.jpg

post-63-1208937427_thumb.jpg

post-63-1208937460_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Tyrone,

First one (and I assume the first two photos are of the same palm?) looks very much like Dypsis nauseosa. Not sure about the other one - looks like my D. prestonianas, but seems to have a dark color to the leaflets. But that could simply be because of how it's been grown. Mine are out in full sun.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Agree with Bo on the nauseosa and the last is prestoniana I reckon.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Thanks Bo and Wal. Do you have any cultural info on these two? What do they love/hate?

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Its funny, the second one looks like the closest I've seen to the "Alfred Betafaka" outside of his place!

I agree on the Nauseosa. It will grow here in So Cal, albeit slowly, so you should have no problem.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

The third one hes a great leaflet arrangement, whatever it is..

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Tyrone,

All the big Dypsis love it here - and as you know we have plenty of rain, quite a bit of humidity and temperatures that are not too extreme (i.e. never cold, and never really hot). So, an educated guess would be that they would dislike any environment that is the opposite of ours. Not saying they can't be grown there - they probably wouldn't perform too well, and may not look too good. SoCal is the opposite, for instance. They can certainly be grown there, but will be much slower, and I don't believe they will ever look their best. The one exception that I can think of would be D. decipiens, which grows very well here, but also performs very well in SoCal. As far as I know, all the other big Dypsis are true rainforest palms.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I also would agree on the first being D. nauseosa. The second would be much harder, they also remind me of my D. canaliculata. D. prestoniana also.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

The second looks like D. canaliculata or a plant Ron lawyer has called Dypsis 'split leaf'.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Assuming the ID of these two palms is correct, the one on the left is D. prestoniana and the one on the right is D. canaliculata. The D. prestoniana seems to grow more upright, much as same as the one in Tyrone pic #3.

One distinct difference that I noticed after posting this photo, is that my D. prestoniana has leaflets that are much more curved than the one in Tyrone's photo. So, maybe something different.... :hmm:

post-22-1208976590_thumb.jpg

I agree the first one is Nauseosa. The second one does not look like Prestoniana to me, but does look like what is sold as Canuliculata.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Thanks guys for all the thoughts. The first one I bought from a WA Palm society sale as Dypsis sp "stumpy". Over here any big tillering heel Dypsis that isn't D decipiens gets that name. The second I bought in as a 3 leafer from QLD as Dypsis canaliculata, but I very much doubt that it's the real deal, as that species hadn't been seen in the wild for decades, and is meant to look similar to D ceracea that also hasn't been seen in the wild for decades.

Bo, you of course are right about my climate. The good thing about my garden is that I have set it up in the rainforest style, so I've modified the otherwise harsh environment, and water is not an issue. The problem with some of these tropical rainforest palms that would normally be planted in full shade in the tropics is that in my climate full shade will definitely provide protection, but be too cool for any growth in winter. So I need to choose a spot with dappled shade in summer, but full sun in winter. D decipiens, D leptocheilos, and D lastelliana grow fine for me, so I just need to find a spot with the above charcteristics. Once they're big enough to take more sun, and they've put a root system down, they may become something. I hope. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

• 10 years later...
On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2008‎ ‎3‎:‎58‎:‎21‎, Tyrone said:

Well, I've been working the backyard nursery today, weeding, repotting, transporting plants into the new greenhouse. My muscles and bones are aching, so I thought I'd have a coffee, take a couple of pics and post them on good ol' Palmtalk. These two Dypsis's have remained unidentified for me, and since they're looking in good condition, I thought I'd ask what the general concensus is. So, what do ya reckon :) .

Another with yellowy opening new leaf

And another couple of pics of a different Dypsis.

Best regards

Tyrone

post-63-1208937285_thumb.jpg

post-63-1208937351_thumb.jpg

post-63-1208937427_thumb.jpg

post-63-1208937460_thumb.jpg

Tyrone, do you still have this second unidentified Dypsis with the large heel? :interesting:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Yes. It's now in the ground in a cooler climate and has been frozen and is recovering well.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

Yes. It's now in the ground in a cooler climate and has been frozen and is recovering well.

What does it look like now (any pics?)?

Will see if I can get some for you. My garden saw a -3C or -4C last winter so it doesn't look pretty but the fact it is still alive and pushing spears is great. Where it is likely saw -1C to -2C at a guess.

22 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Will see if I can get some for you. My garden saw a -3C or -4C last winter so it doesn't look pretty but the fact it is still alive and pushing spears is great. Where it is likely saw -1C to -2C at a guess.

Still alive and still pushing spears at those temperatures, that has got to be a pretty tough Dypsis! Did it's species ever get identified?

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Here are some pics. A much bigger palm now but a bit damaged. New growth looks good though. I'm hoping for a mild winter for a full recovery. Last year was a once in a 30-50 year freeze event from information from the old locals here.

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG

• Upvote 2

Just noticed in the first pic back in 2008 my old dog Charlie sitting on his bed. I miss him so much. He died of a heart attack on Oct 26 2014 after having an unknown virus. Memories.

• Upvote 1

Our best friends!!!!

Always my palm pictures are like yours with my palms and in a second scene, my dogs seeing the camera or in the beds.

Nice to see you renember your dog

• Upvote 2