IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Royal palm

galveston1602

I was speaking to a palm supplier today and he mentioned that he was shipping (i think he said) 40 royals from 25-40gals for an outside planting in tyler tx(7b) Something about a new office building...

am I loosing my mind or will these palms be dead in a years time?  

anyone near Tyler have any idea where these are going?   id be interested in seeing some pics especially after the first winter.

I suspect this is going to be a massive palmacide.

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"

To those forty Royals, R.I.P. in advance if Tyler is anything lower than a 9b. :(

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I think is just about the most expensive set of annuals I have ever heard of!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Hum a dirge . . . .

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Tyler's much nearer to Dallas than to the coast, where they're marginal, too.  It's just too dang cold in TX.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

We see Royals and Coconuts used all along the mid atlantic coast as annuals.  Maybe that is what they are doing.  Certainly Tyler is too cold for Roystonea.  In the arctic freezes of the 1980's, even Trachycarpus and Sabals died.  TX has been experiencing very warm winters for the recent past, but even then, Royals wouldn't have survived even one winter in Tyler.  They have hard freezes in Tyler even during the mildest winter.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Perhaps the royals are going into an interior atrium in Tyler?  But that sounds like a very large number for that type of use.  There is a somewhat new baseball stadium in my home town of Peoria, IL, zone 5b, which has a number of new large queen palms planted outdoors along the entry area every spring as annuals.  I guess where there is plenty of $$ available to bring in the people the lives of the palms are not a consideration.  Those queens do look great, especially by the end of summer.

We're still searching for that one Roystona to make it here in N. Ca.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they somewhat of a challenge in Sunset zone 23?  

The ones I've seen at the Huntington in Pasadena don't look all that great to me, the trunks appear too thin.

The best Roystonea I've seen west of Florida is the one at Louis Hoopers house in Whittier/LaHabra.  It's magnificent.  

Louis is a premier palm grower.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

we have some very nice royals around here.  unfortunately i think they number less than 50 total....  I think they will survive fine, it just seems we cant get them...

they were reportedly being used outdoors....

I cant see anyone spending that kind of $$ ~400-500 each

thatd be 20k worth of annuals?

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

(galveston1602 @ Sep. 09 2006,00:57)

I was speaking to a palm supplier today and he mentioned that he was shipping (i think he said) 40 royals from 25-40gals for an outside planting in tyler tx(7b) Something about a new office building...

am I loosing my mind or will these palms be dead in a years time?  

anyone near Tyler have any idea where these are going?   id be interested in seeing some pics especially after the first winter.

I suspect this is going to be a massive palmacide.

The royals will be dead in a years time, unless they have and extremely warm winter or they are provided some extreme protection.

That said, Tyler isn't a 7b.  It's an 8b.  Some winters may even be 9a.  You have to go to extreme north texas/panhandle to start getting into zone 7, so there's a good deal of cold hardies than can be grown there, but royals isn't one of them.

http://www.arborday.org/media/zones.cfm

(ghar41 @ Sep. 10 2006,14:06)

We're still searching for that one Roystona to make it here in N. Ca.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they somewhat of a challenge in Sunset zone 23?  

The ones I've seen at the Huntington in Pasadena don't look all that great to me, the trunks appear too thin.

The biggest one at the Huntington had a trunk as large as any I've seen in the tropics.  Unfortunately, they dug it up last winter to renovate the mansion and I think it's probably dead now.

I've had no problems growing Roystoneas here, but they've only been in the ground since summer 2004.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Seems like a huge waste to be throughing around royals of this size as annuals. Even at a best winter 9a in Tyler, your really pushing it. Protection would be needed and even then, not something I would try.

elHoagie - I was wondering what happend to that Royal at Huntingtion next to the mansion. It was pretty dam nice looking at one time and, not the fatest, but cerntianly not thin. The ones at Balboa park look very nice.

In So Cal, I feel the one thing that makes them look not so nice, frond wise, is the lack of humidity. I've got 2 huge ones, in 25g containers, I am final going to permantly locate by summers end.

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

(elHoagie @ Sep. 12 2006,13:43)

[

The biggest one at the Huntington had a trunk as large as any I've seen in the tropics.  Unfortunately, they dug it up last winter to renovate the mansion and I think it's probably dead now.

I've had no problems growing Roystoneas here, but they've only been in the ground since summer 2004.

I was there this past summer so maybe that's why the Roy's looked so bad. :(

I'll have to make it down to Balboa on my trip next summer.  An aged, well grown Roystonea is truly a magnifient tree. :)

Any other public Roy's in So Cal worth viewing? I thought I'd see some at Quail B. G....did I miss em?

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Having grown up in South Florida (Hollywood) w/ the streets rowed w/ regia/elatas in my neighborhood, they have always been my favorite. They seemed so tall and you couldn't put your arms around them. And they do make a watemelon sound when you knock on them. Massive beauty.

I think there are ones at Quail, but I don't beleive they are as big as the ones at Balboa. Having a brain fade on this.....

Jerry Anderson has some nice ones as well.

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

Im not one to argue zones but,

any place that has 0's and negatives on the record page (some less than 20 yrs old)

cant be a 8b....

heck if your calling tyler an 8b I must be a 10b and we both know thats not true

Either 7b, 8b or 9a id like to know what happens to these trees as i dont see any possible way they will survive through 1 winter.  and to top it off they are going in about now (late summer)

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

These royals are as dead as the royal in my back yard here in Ruskin, FL (rated 9B by the way by the pessimistic 1990 USDA map). They might last a year or 2, but come on, it is at a latitude north of Savannah, Ga and really has not geographical advantages to stop a blast from our friends in Canada. I hope I am wrong...really!!!

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

tyler is zone 8 b my parents live close to there. Royals would be toast by janurary. my lake property is 80 miles south and royals  would be risky there . the brown area on the map is zone 8 it covers a large area. but i would like to have a royal  to experment with.

post-59-1158153457_thumb.jpg

These royals are as dead as the royal in my back yard here in Ruskin, FL (rated 9B by the way by the pessimistic 1990 USDA map). They might last a year or 2, but come on, it is at a latitude north of Savannah, Ga and really has not geographical advantages to stop a blast from our friends in Canada. I hope I am wrong...really!!!

Maybe we can put up a Huge wall to stop them..... Just think about how Much warmer all the US would be  if it wasn't for CANADA :)

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(galveston1602 @ Sep. 13 2006,01:36)

any place that has 0's and negatives on the record page (some less than 20 yrs old)

cant be a 8b....

heck if your calling tyler an 8b I must be a 10b and we both know thats not true

Either 7b, 8b or 9a id like to know what happens to these trees as i dont see any possible way they will survive through 1 winter.  and to top it off they are going in about now (late summer)

Tyler is a solid 8b.  Gauranteed.  Check out the climate website in my signature.  The following stats were attained from this site.  These are 56 year minimum average lows at the following locations.  Much greater than the 1990 or even 2004 zone maps.

Dallas:  56 year average min: 16.2

Waco:  56 year average min: 18.7

Shreveport: 56 year avg min: 18.8

Zone 8b is 15-20F

Tyler not listed but it is almost in the middle of these 3 locations, so you can assume it is 17-18 degrees F.

By the way, I do believe Galveston is a borderline 10a climate if you look at the long term (50-100 year) stats even though the 1990 map lists zone 9.

(GREENHAND @ Sep. 13 2006,09:17)

tyler is zone 8 b my parents live close to there. Royals would be toast by janurary. my lake property is 80 miles south and royals  would be risky there . the brown area on the map is zone 8 it covers a large area. but i would like to have a royal  to experment with.

I think that's the super conservative 1990 map that was based on about 12 years and it shows tyler as an 8a.  If you look at the longer term stats, it would actually come out to an 8b.

(syersj @ Sep. 13 2006,10:19)

(galveston1602 @ Sep. 13 2006,01:36)

cant be a 8b....

Tyler is a solid 8b.  Gauranteed.  Check out the climate website in my signature.  The following stats were attained from this site.  These are 56 year minimum average lows at the following locations.  Much greater than the 1990 or even 2004 zone maps.

Dallas:  56 year average min: 16.2

Waco:  56 year average min: 18.7

Shreveport: 56 year avg min: 18.8

Zone 8b is 15-20F

Tyler not listed but it is almost in the middle of these 3 locations, so you can assume it is 17-18 degrees F.

By the way, I do believe Galveston is a borderline 10a climate if you look at the long term (50-100 year) stats even though the 1990 map lists zone 9.

Galveston brings up a valid point at the differences between averages and extremes.

What good is 20/30/40/50 years of averages if every 5-10 years something 15-20F below that average rolls through?  These events will still define the landscape to a very large degree.

Down here, the mindblowing record setting events are roughly 10F below the normal averages and these events still pretty much define the longterm landscape.  The difference between low 20'sF and low 30's F is quite large when it comes to crownshafted palms :D

All of this does not deny averages however and I have no idea what the extreme event frequency is for Tyler...maybe someone can look it up :D  If the really bad ones are every 10 years or so, Id say its worth trying things in line with the averages (and not the extremes) as a decade is a long time to enjoy the plants/palms.  This is my theory on what I plant anyway :D

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Larry, you are correct.  An area that is an 8b in TX, can have a brutally cold all time record low near zero F and in some cases below zero.  Granted that would be once a century or so.  But you could expect 10-15 F every 15-20 years, so that would really limit your long term prospects to only the real hardy stuff.  Short term (under 10 years or so) you could grow some more expirimental stuff.  Although royals would not be one of them, unless you live in someplace like Galveston, Corpus, or the Valley.