IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

IPS Merchandise ?

Joe,

No, these items do not exist. Personally, I'd like to see some of them, but we're up against some practical problems. For instance, where should they be produced and mailed out from? The IPS has the largest concentrations of members in CA and FL, but we really have members worldwide, and that needs to be taken into account. International shipping is pretty expensive. And should we rely on a volunteer? That's been the case with the bookstore, and the bottom line is that we rely on just one individual. Which is a lot of responsibility for that person, and potentially quite a bit of work.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated, and this is something that could be discussed at the upcoming IPS board meeting in Costa Rica on May 3rd.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

This is slightly off topic, but the international shipping has been mentioned as a potential issue with other things, Palmtalk calenders, etc.  Whilst I appreciate that the IPS has local chapters, as I understand it they are not directly affiliated, so would it be feasible for the IPS to have direct regional representation, such as a European representative, an Australian representative, etc. with region size/representation dependent on quantity of members, geographical area or similar.

I'm not suggesting a total restructuring of the IPS board or anything, merely that a regional representative be appointed, who could possibly arrange local IPS events, fund raising, etc. or act as a distribution point for IPS merchandize, possibly locally themed.  I realize there may still be issues with low memberships in certain areas, leading to very large regions, but it may go some way to alleviating the remoteness of some members.

My second thought, with a biennial approaching, is wondering whether any merchandize is made available at such events, i.e. IPS Biennial 2008 Costa Rica T-shirts, etc.  These could be made available only to those who attend the event and would serve as a nice souvenir for those in attendance.

Apologies if such ideas are already in place.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

This could be as simple as putting some good quality .eps files available for download to members.  These files can then be taken to any number of places that can print them on t-shirt, embroider them, etc in one-off quanitities for reasonable prices.   The old days of needing to do large quantities of silk screening is long gone.  We do this all of the time for local initiatives.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Corey and Keith,

These are all good ideas. And yes, there are always t-shirts at the Biennials.

As far as representation in various parts of the world: I would love to see IPS members in different areas step forward and volunteer to be the contact person in that part of the world. We need more interaction, and PalmTalk is a great start, but we need people locally to widen the scope of the IPS. ANY help in this regard is greatly appreciated, and all ideas are welcome. We'll sort out later on if those ideas are really good, just plain good, so-so, or maybe not all that great! :P

Keith,

You are absolutely correct. BUT, no matter how simple something is, it still needs to be done. The IPS is a volunteer organization. Everybody on the IPS Board is a volunteer who gets paid NOTHING for his or her efforts and expenses. We can only do but so much. As in pretty much any non-profit organization, if someone steps forward and volunteers to do a particular job, then the job is his or hers. If nobody steps forward, then chances are, it won't get done. This is a good example - we could use someone with the organizational skills to make something like this happen. It takes a bit of time and planning, and knowledge of how things work, but if nobody is willing to do it, well, you get the point! Coming up with good ideas is great, but without the willing manpower to implement those good ideas, we could just as well be planning a manned expedition to Jupiter.... :P

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

• 2 weeks later...

Bo,

What about using Cafe Press for some items?

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

David,

See my previous post! All ideas and suggestions are welcome, but many times the problem is simply getting something implemented. Without someone volunteering to do the research and come up with a workable solution and then implementing it, chances are nothing will happen. And those on the IPS Board who are actively attempting to get stuff done already have too many responsibilities. Translation: we need more people who are willing to help out! Maybe I should start a new thread and list specific jobs! ;)

Bo-Göran

PS - What is Cafe Press and what do they do?

PS - What is Cafe Press and what do they do?

This is what they do, according to their website:

At CafePress.com, you can create and sell a variety of customizable products with zero upfront costs and zero inventory investment.

You can sell

* Merchandise you design including t-shirts, posters, mugs, bumper stickers and much more.

* Books printed on-demand. Learn more

* Audio and Data CDs. Learn more

What CafePress.com does

1. Gives you a FREE online shop to promote your products

2. Produces each item when ordered using our unique print-on-demand technology

3. Handles all payment transactions including major credit cards

4. Ships your products worldwide

5. Manages all returns/exchanges

6. Offers customer service via toll-free phone and email

7. Sends you a monthly check for your earnings on sales!

Luis Diego G.

Alajuela, Costa Rica.

My website: SeresVerdes.com

Plants and seeds I have for trade

CafePress may be a great solution for our needs. I have ordered products through them before with great success. Bo, I would be happy to help with this project in some way.

This could be as simple as putting some good quality .eps files available for download to members. These files can then be taken to any number of places that can print them on t-shirt, embroider them, etc in one-off quanitities for reasonable prices. The old days of needing to do large quantities of silk screening is long gone. We do this all of the time for local initiatives.

Yes, all the IPS committee have to do is agree on a template for an IPS stencil for usage on tee shirts. Draw something up, that doesn't take too much volunteer work does it ? and send it to an elected IPS message board member for final digital draw which gets final review by IPS and there you have it. We can all avail this digital stencil around the globe and proudly wear our own IPS tee shirts.

or something like that..

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Good Idea Wal! Maybe we can have an art contest and then a poll to decide which designs we like best! IPS has plenty of artistic and talented folk... Anyone else this an art contest could be a good start obtaining a design that the IPS could license to its members for use of not for profit - promotional materials? (stickers, hats, cups, pens, shirts, etc etc)

Actually, the logo used on this board for members looks good.

Here's an example:

post-51-1208744366_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Actually, the logo used on this board for members looks good.

Here's an example:

post-51-1208744366_thumb.jpg

Yep, Wal. That's the ticket. The company I use would probably prefer a little higher res than the logo on the website, and they would prefer it in an .eps format. With permission, I could probably get this done free of charge.

I think I would like mine on a nice button down, front only.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

You can add text too, for example:

post-51-1208745642_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Everybody!

It's great to see all this enthusiasm and interest along with concrete ideas!

This is the way it'll work: Paul Craft, the outgoing IPS President, is currently preparing the agenda for the IPS Board Meeting in Costa Rica on Saturday 03 May. Since I have been nominated as the new incoming President, I'm also attempting to add a few items to the agenda. This is definitely a good one. What I need is a concrete proposal from someone who is willing to take on the job of organizing this and make it happen. I'm afraid I can't promise any financial compensation, but whoever takes on the job will gain something much more valuable: the satisfaction of making this actually happen!

If there are any questions, please feel free to post them here, or send a PM - whatever is most appropriate.

Bo-Göran

Everybody!

It's great to see all this enthusiasm and interest along with concrete ideas!

This is the way it'll work: Paul Craft, the outgoing IPS President, is currently preparing the agenda for the IPS Board Meeting in Costa Rica on Saturday 03 May. Since I have been nominated as the new incoming President, I'm also attempting to add a few items to the agenda. This is definitely a good one. What I need is a concrete proposal from someone who is willing to take on the job of organizing this and make it happen. I'm afraid I can't promise any financial compensation, but whoever takes on the job will gain something much more valuable: the satisfaction of making this actually happen!

If there are any questions, please feel free to post them here, or send a PM - whatever is most appropriate.

Bo-Göran

I am in. I have friends in the business who will help. Help from other members welcome, but not necessary.

I'm happy to help in any way I can. I don't have Keith's contacts in terms of design, but if I am asked and am able I will oblige.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

I made some designs for Palmpedia.

I just ordered some so I'll let y'all how they come out... or if you are in Costa Rica you can see for yourself. I hope the quality is good.

post-1234-1208767712_thumb.png

post-1234-1208767744_thumb.png

Edited by putu enjula

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Another version. I didn't order this one... ran out of money! :bummed:

post-1234-1208768743_thumb.png

Edited by putu enjula

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

What is this, Palmpedia versus IPS ?

The new modern private company machine takeover with all the bells and whistles versus the blue collar worker IPS members.

Shame shame shame

:D

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

The new modern private company machine takeover with all the bells and whistles versus the blue collar worker IPS members.

Shame shame shame

As far as I know, both are run by the same guy. So what does that make it? Dean vs. his alter ego? Maybe he's like Jekyll and Hyde. :wacko:

:lol:

BTW I was merely showing an example of my artwork. I was by no means shamelessly plugging a palm encyclopedia. :innocent: Just ignore the letters... and my signature too!

Hey maybe I should have put "I know Greenleaf" on the shirt! :D

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Shame shame shame

As far as know, both are run by the same guy. So what does that make it? Dean vs. his alter ego? Maybe he's like Jekyll and Hyde. :wacko:

BTW I was merely showing an example of my artwork. I was by no means shamelessly plugging a palm encyclopedia. :innocent: Just ignore the letters... and my signature too!

That should read "I knew Greenleaf", for he has departed along with the old format. He was misunderstood and a little hard nosed and deep down, yeh, there was nothing but mud, goodbye old friend :huh:

And as far as Palmpedia and double agent Dean go, well I think it's all good for palms in the long run. :rolleyes:

And back to the shirt idea, I was thinking about getting one done anyway, can't wait for sanctification from over the waves. Watch this space.

character0051.gif

Edited by Wal

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Blondedude David...........great idea on using Cafe Press............Angela keeps coming up with great designs (still liking the Ranchhand concept....just strapped for cash right now)........you two should get together with Bo (congrats on presidential nomination....(can you see about getting these gas prices down a bit)).........put out some stuff on Cafe Press' website and provide a link from here to order stuff. Proceeds can go back into running this site.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Shame shame shame

As far as know, both are run by the same guy. So what does that make it? Dean vs. his alter ego? Maybe he's like Jekyll and Hyde. :wacko:

That should read "I knew Greenleaf", for he has departed along with the old format. He was misunderstood and a little hard nosed and deep down, yeh, there was nothing but mud, goodbye old friend :huh:

And as far as Palmpedia and double agent Dean go, well I think it's all good for palms in the long run. :rolleyes:

And back to the shirt idea, I was thinking about getting one done anyway, can't wait for sanctification from over the waves. Watch this space.

character0051.gif

He's not the only double agent around here!

I designed this one and ordered it in a few different styles. It will be ready in time to wear to COSTA RICA! Woo hoo!

I didn't draw any of it... I stole various images and altered them... but hey I am capable of drawing too! :)

post-1234-1208778468_thumb.png

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Hey Bo,

The Aloha Music Camp has used Cafe Press for a few years and I have a few friends that have used it pretty successfully for one time things as well.

I'd be happy to work on this initiative.

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

Blondedude David...........great idea on using Cafe Press............Angela keeps coming up with great designs (still liking the Ranchhand concept....just strapped for cash right now)........you two should get together with Bo (congrats on presidential nomination....(can you see about getting these gas prices down a bit)).........put out some stuff on Cafe Press' website and provide a link from here to order stuff. Proceeds can go back into running this site.

My husband's company ( a small dive charter company) uses Cafe Press for their items. It is about as painless as selling anything can be. People order it, Cafe Press makes it (t-shirts, hats, mugs, calendars, etc.), collects the money, ships the merchandise, and sends you a check.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

I still believe for this to be practical, only the pattern in digital form needs to be designed and then used for all around the globe. You can be in England or South Africa for example and then download it and put it on your pjs if you want, there's no hassle by anybody, no money transaction at all. Ensure that the logo is for IPS members only maybe, not essential. Knowing we all have the same IPS approved logo is fun enough. We could then have contests for best shirt/apparel with IPS logo.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I still believe for this to be practical, only the pattern in digital form needs to be designed and then used for all around the globe. You can be in England or South Africa for example and then download it and put it on your pjs if you want, there's no hassle by anybody, no money transaction at all. Ensure that the logo is for IPS members only maybe, not essential. Knowing we all have the same IPS approved logo is fun enough. We could then have contests for best shirt/apparel with IPS logo.

Wal,

That is exactly what I have been trying to say. You summed it up nicely. Let's not overcomplicate this. And I love the contest idea.

Surely the Café Press idea is better, because it could raise some revenue for the IPS. We can all make our own designs and buy them whenever we want anyway, no-one can stop us, but raising money for the IPS would seem a more worthwhile enterprise.

The IPS could allow purchase of various digital logo's, but I think having their own Café Press store would attract more custom and raise more revenue, because it is that much easier for the end user to buy a made product rather than mess around getting designs, then finding somewhere to use them.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

The logo should be made available for free to encourage it's use. The more people that put in on 'whatever' the better, as it will be more widely distributed and recognised. It should not be a money making exercise, but a promotional exercise. It will provide basically 'free' advertising for the IPS.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I totally agree that the IPS should encourage free advertising, but there has already been mention of a decline in membership and, if there are fund raising opportunities, they should be taken advantage of. No voluntary organisation can achieve anything without raising funds. The more funds that are raised, the more that can be achieved.

Living where I do, I think my wearing of an IPS logo would have no value whatsoever in terms of advertising, however, for those that live in better palm growing climates, especially those that regularly attend palm sales, chapter meetings, etc., it may have some merit. There again, if someone were to come up to you and say, where can I get one of those t-shirts, etc., it would surely be better to point them to an internet address, where they could purchase one, rather than say, well you can't unless you get the logo from the IPS then get someone else to print it on your garment of choice.

I'm still not entirely sure why we would want to avoid the IPS raising funds, surely that would be for all our benefits. If I were to buy a t-shirt with an IPS logo, I'd rather some of that money go to the IPS than none of it.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

• 11 months later...

I can get it all done. A friend of mines neighbor has a shop in his home that he handles ALL OF THIS. Stickers, shirts, hats, even coffee cups! Whatever you would want made...

Is there really a market for this? Or all you all talk?

I'll get some numbers done up, but I'm sure they'll all be in bulk.

I'll see if I can get some kinda starter kit... :)

Who do I have to get with to get approval to use the IPS logo and whatnot?

~Ray.

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

• 7 months later...

What happened to all the enthusiasm on this topic?

I've been waiting.....so long that now I'm flowering.....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

John,

Funny you should ask! Actually, William (PiousPalms) is now the Chair of our Public Relation & Marketing Committee, and he is in the process of coming up with all sorts of exciting ideas. Just about right now! Which is the reason for the new IPS logo. Which is by no means necessarily permanent. We just wanted to see 1) if you guys are paying attention, and 2) which logo you prefer.

Exciting ideas are always welcome. (Let's keep Bill busy! :) )

Bo-Göran

PS - congratulations on passing 1000 posts!

John,

Funny you should ask! Actually, William (PiousPalms) is now the Chair of our Public Relation & Marketing Committee, and he is in the process of coming up with all sorts of exciting ideas. Just about right now! Which is the reason for the new IPS logo. Which is by no means necessarily permanent. We just wanted to see 1) if you guys are paying attention, and 2) which logo you prefer.

Exciting ideas are always welcome. (Let's keep Bill busy! :) )

Bo-Göran

PS - congratulations on passing 1000 posts!

I'll run my ideas through Bill.

You know, dinnerware, baby goods, etc.

Seriously, I would like some casual wear that I could wear to other gardening events I go to around here. It may spark new membership, just for the goodies!

This time of year, an IPS parka could come in handy!

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"