IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Isolated versus Scattered

Kathryn

It is code language for "we don't have a clue whether water will fall on your head today."

I am sorry, I just couldn't help myself

Keith

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

According to "Meteorologists"Isolated Thunderstorms means most of the map on displaywill stay dry.Isolated Thunderstorms will effect 30 percent of the map while70 percent will remain dry.

Scattered Thunderstorms is "Meterologist" speak for Thunderstorms covering 40 to 60 percentof the map.

All in all,it is a coin toss.

What you look for is what is looking

this is some big difference ? if it rains where you are its 100 %, if no it is 0 % !  :P

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

• 2 weeks later...

No difference really.  Around here, neither of those descriptions yield any rain.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I've noticed here that partly cloudy seems to mean anything from totally overcast all day to clear blue skies all day.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Partly sunny means that same thing here.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

So are we saying WEATHERMEN don't have a CLUE? :laugh:

Who would have ever THUNK it!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Today will be mainly cloudy with some sunny periods. The conditions will be mainly fine and dry with a chance of showers...there I think that covers it...

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Pretty sure it goes Isolated, Scattered, Few, and finally Numerous with the areal coverage increasing for each category.

Higher the category goes the greater chance you have of getting hit by thunderstorms. It is based on the percentage of the forecast area that will receive storms.

Pete

Edited by petewx1

Here is my AccuWeather forcast....... http://www.accuweather.com/forecast-15day....16&metric=0

What exactly are Episodes of sunshine for april 28th?

They just make this stuff up right?

"Episodes of sunshine" Well, they not be accurate, but at least they have a sense of humor.

Or is that code language for "we don't have a clue if you will get a sunburn today, or not" :mrlooney:

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

"Episiodes of Sunshine"?"As the World so Shine"?"The Days of our Sun"?The Young and the Sunless"?Oh, the wonderful Sport of Meteorology.

What you look for is what is looking

We are dry as a bone again, but there are episodes of rain all around me with a prelude of thunder and encore of humidity.

Later on we are expecting weeks of re-runs of high temps, but hopefully not a hurricane during sweeps week.

Our Episodes of sunshine yesterday ended up with lots of rain and a few tornadoes I didn't not see any sunshine at all.

will try to do the things that they say can't be done

• 2 months later...

We are in the Isolated/Scattered pattern. Somedays, it rains all around us, yet leaves us dry. Other days, we get rain and nobody else does. Locally, we call them popcorn showers. They pop up in a very localized spot, dump and inch or so of rain, and vanish just as fast.

Back when I was a fisherman, I remember running out into the gulf between two of them. Somedays they vanished, other days they closed in to make one really big whopper. We called them sucker holes. Getting caught out in the open gulf in one was quite an adventure. One of which I don't care to relive. At least on land, you can run inside.