Isolated versus Scattered

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Kathryn

Kathryn

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:06 AM

What’s the difference between isolated and scattered storms?

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 _Keith

_Keith

• IPS MEMBER
  • 8,790 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:14 AM

It is code language for "we don't have a clue whether water will fall on your head today."

I am sorry, I just couldn't help myself

Keith

In my post I sometimes express "MY" opinion.   Please do not feel insulted if your opinion differs from my opinion.  That is fine.  You get to have one, I get to have one.  Its kind of like they teach you in Kindergarten, but we don't even have to share.  Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data.  Other terms may apply.

#3 bubba

bubba

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,842 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:51 AM

According to "Meteorologists"Isolated Thunderstorms means most of the map on displaywill stay dry.Isolated Thunderstorms will effect 30 percent of the map while70 percent will remain dry.

Scattered Thunderstorms is "Meterologist" speak for Thunderstorms covering 40 to 60 percentof the map.

All in all,it is a coin toss.
"Be kind, for everyone you encounter is fighting a great battle."
Philo

#4 Cristóbal

Cristóbal

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 565 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:47 AM

this is some big difference ? if it rains where you are its 100 %, if no it is 0 % !  :P
Posted Image

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). DESERT BY OCEAN SUNNY DRY. RAIN: 220 MM (8.66 INCHS). BY OCEAN ZONE 11 NO FREEZES.

#5 bubba

bubba

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,842 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:53 AM

And so goes the Science of "Meterology".......
Philo

#6 Ray Tampa

Ray Tampa

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 4,907 posts
  • Location:Interbay Peninsula of Tampa, Florida, USA and Bokeelia, Florida, USA

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:17 AM

No difference really.  Around here, neither of those descriptions yield any rain.
Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA
subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA
subtropical USDA Zone 10B

#7 Neofolis

Neofolis

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:42 AM

I've noticed here that partly cloudy seems to mean anything from totally overcast all day to clear blue skies all day.
]
Corey Lucas-Divers
Dorset, UK
Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)
Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)
Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)
Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)
Ave Rain 736mm pa

#8 Ray Tampa

Ray Tampa

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 4,907 posts
  • Location:Interbay Peninsula of Tampa, Florida, USA and Bokeelia, Florida, USA

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:29 AM

Partly sunny means that same thing here.
Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA
subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA
subtropical USDA Zone 10B

#9 gsn

gsn

• StumpHead
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:54 AM

So are we saying WEATHERMEN don't have a CLUE? :laugh:
Who would have ever THUNK it!
Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

#10 Daryl

Daryl

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,234 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:19 PM

Today will be mainly cloudy with some sunny periods. The conditions will be mainly fine and dry with a chance of showers...there I think that covers it...

Gold Coast Hinterland, Queensland 28S. Mild Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

#11 petewx1

petewx1

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:36 PM

Pretty sure it goes Isolated, Scattered, Few, and finally Numerous with the areal coverage increasing for each category.
Higher the category goes the greater chance you have of getting hit by thunderstorms. It is based on the percentage of the forecast area that will receive storms.
Pete

Edited by petewx1, 19 April 2008 - 03:37 PM.

#12 JBa3Fan

JBa3Fan

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:53 PM

Here is my AccuWeather forcast....... http://www.accuweath.......16&metric=0

What exactly are Episodes of sunshine for april 28th?

They just make this stuff up right?
will try to do the things that they say can't be done

#13 _Keith

_Keith

• IPS MEMBER
  • 8,790 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:59 PM

Here is my AccuWeather forcast....... http://www.accuweath.......16&metric=0

What exactly are Episodes of sunshine for april 28th?

They just make this stuff up right?

"Episodes of sunshine" Well, they not be accurate, but at least they have a sense of humor.

Or is that code language for "we don't have a clue if you will get a sunburn today, or not" :mrlooney:

In my post I sometimes express "MY" opinion.   Please do not feel insulted if your opinion differs from my opinion.  That is fine.  You get to have one, I get to have one.  Its kind of like they teach you in Kindergarten, but we don't even have to share.  Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data.  Other terms may apply.

#14 bubba

bubba

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,842 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:13 AM

"Episiodes of Sunshine"?"As the World so Shine"?"The Days of our Sun"?The Young and the Sunless"?Oh, the wonderful Sport of Meteorology.
Philo

#15 _Keith

_Keith

• IPS MEMBER
  • 8,790 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:11 PM

We are dry as a bone again, but there are episodes of rain all around me with a prelude of thunder and encore of humidity.

Later on we are expecting weeks of re-runs of high temps, but hopefully not a hurricane during sweeps week.

#16 JBa3Fan

JBa3Fan

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:54 AM

Our Episodes of sunshine yesterday ended up with lots of rain and a few tornadoes I didn't not see any sunshine at all.
will try to do the things that they say can't be done

#17 _Keith

_Keith

• IPS MEMBER
  • 8,790 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:02 PM

We are in the Isolated/Scattered pattern. Somedays, it rains all around us, yet leaves us dry. Other days, we get rain and nobody else does. Locally, we call them popcorn showers. They pop up in a very localized spot, dump and inch or so of rain, and vanish just as fast.

Back when I was a fisherman, I remember running out into the gulf between two of them. Somedays they vanished, other days they closed in to make one really big whopper. We called them sucker holes. Getting caught out in the open gulf in one was quite an adventure. One of which I don't care to relive. At least on land, you can run inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users