IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

And this palm is?

_Keith

It is a real beauty.

post-1207-1206676371_thumb.jpg

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Looks like a very droopy Butia capitata, however I've never seen one with the leaflets drooping to the extent of that one.  Nice palm in any case...

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Keith,

That is one of the most beautiful Butias I've ever seen. It's definately a mutation and a very valuable palm. Where is it and are there any other Butias growing close to it? When it fruits the seeds should definately be saved, but it  should be self pollinated and not crossed with another Butia. That's the kind of cultivar that could be worth thousands of dollars if the progny comes true.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Keith-

I would bring your shovel to that one!  What a stunner!  Ive never seen a Butia as pretty as that one!  That couldnt have any Syagrus in it could it?

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Wow, all I see is a nice butia.  Looks like several growing around town.  Maybe I'm missing something?  Is the "droopy frond" look that unusual?

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

(tank @ Mar. 28 2008,10:12)

Is the "droopy frond" look that unusual?

Around here it is...never seen one like that!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

The droopy fronds are definately unusual. I considered it might be a hybrid, but I doubt there are many exotic Syagrus growing in that area of the South to hybridize with, and it sure doesn't look like a Butiagrus. I would be almost sure it's a mutation and a very nice one.

Keith, how about some more pictures and some more details about the palm? Some shots of the petiole and the trunk would be helpful too. I think you have found a real winner. It looks like it might be near blooming size too.

Dick

Richard Douglas

(PalmGuyWC @ Mar. 28 2008,09:53)

The droopy fronds are definately unusual. I considered it might be a hybrid, but I doubt there are many exotic Syagrus growing in that area of the South to hybridize with, and it sure doesn't look like a Butiagrus. I would be almost sure it's a mutation and a very nice one.

Keith, how about some more pictures and some more details about the palm? Some shots of the petiole and the trunk would be helpful too. I think you have found a real winner. It looks like it might be near blooming size too.

Dick

No chance I'll get a shovel anywhere near this baby.

The closest Butia to it is about a quarter mile away.  

If it flowers this year, I will try to get some seeds, but if I can, it will be a very limited number.  At the risk of jeopardizing that chance, I will say no more about the palm's location at this time, other than to say that if I can score seeds I will share free of charge till they are gone.  

I will try to get some more pictures in the next few weeks.  

Keith

BTW - Although I visited that palm recently, that picture is actually over 3 years old, so I am keeping my fingers crossed on flowering.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Don't want to rain on everyones parade, but this is not super unusual for my area. It is a beautiful tree and I would try and get seeds if you can. I have found that shade+genetics can cause this to happen around here. I will try and get some pictures of a few trees that I have seen around here that show this same characteristic.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

David,

I understand about shade, but that tree appears to be growing in the open. I would bet it's genetics.  If you have Butias growing in your area that look like that, show us. I was brought up in Butia country in S. Ga. and I never saw a Butia like that. This Butia kind of reminds me of Brahea armata, and the weepy B. Clara. Some Chamaerops have the same characteristics.

Dick

Richard Douglas

This palm is in total full sun.  Closest tree is at least 100 feet away on two sides with a lake on the other two sides.  And I mean full Louisiana sun.  Trust me, we got sun and heat down here.

Super attractive Butia that is!  Love to have one like that in my garden - yeah who wouldn't!  It needs to be cloned.  Anybody else have one even close to that look?  Post some pics if you do.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

I keep coming back to Keith's photo of that beautiful droopy fronded Butia. I have 9 mature Butias and I gave mine a close inspection and none of mine have droopy fronds. I also went through all the photos of Butias in PACSOA and none there have the droopy apperance.

Keith, if your photo is 3 years old then the palm must be considerably larger now and blooming size. I know you don't want to reveal its exact location, but is it growing near you, and do you know the people who own it, and if so, would they be agreeable to part with some seed?

I also notice that the lower juvinile fronds seem to be more lax than it would appear the newer upper fronds are. I just wonder if this is a characteristic that might become less apparent as the palm grows older with more mature fronds? Keith, I think you have made an important find, and it would be great if you could photograph all aspects of the palm, the fronds from different angles, the petiole, the trunk, and the spathes, and flowers and fruit when it blooms. OK, Keith, the pressure is on now, so show and tell!

Dick

Richard Douglas

On the way home today, I noticed a nearly mature flower spike shooting out of a large Butia.  Time to go check on Butia capitata 'droopy'.   Will try to get out there this weekend.

So, when is the earliest point I can remove the seeds?

• 5 years later...