IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

From Jerzy

ania

Dear IPS members;

I am bringing sad news of Ania's passing. She left us on February 26th after long and courageous battle with cancer. She is missed so very, very much by me, our daughter Joanna and our son Paul.

Her love to palms is shared by me. Although She was participating in IPS i was with Her planting, caring and enjoying the palms. In Her tradition I would like to join the IPS but I need some help and guidance in breaking in.

Jerzy

• Upvote 1

Ania

Houston, TX

zone 9a

"God in his wisdom made the fly

And then forgot to tell us why"

-Ogden Nash

Jerzy,

I am so sorry to hear the news, and wish you, and your children, strength through your sorrow. Ania was one of my favorite members for a number of reasons, but her courage and optimism were paramount. I "talked" with her on a number of occasions to check up and offer what little help we could provide. I was always struck by her desire to keep us on track with our "hobby," and not burden us with her battle. I will miss knowing she is reading our posts.

Thanks to her, I can envision you in the cockpit, and her standing next to one of her palms. I would be happy to help with any guidance you may need in carrying on her tradition, and I know many of the members here will do the same.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Jerzy, I'm so sorry to hear the news of Ania's passing.  I enjoyed her posts here in the forum.  She had a great additude.  She made an impression on me so much that I even named a character after her in a sketch comedy production we did.  It was Ania Guihaia the supermodel powerlifter.  She was hot on the cat walk and could also powerlift with the best Olympic athletes, while still holding her trendy handbag.  It was funny.  I should have told her about it.  She will be missed.  Welcome to the forum.  There are many friends here.

-Matt

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I remember her constant positive energy.You could sense her grace and I get the feeling she was classic.My prayers go to her together with her husband and children.

What you look for is what is looking

I'm teary as I type this . . . .

Sorry to hear, and sorrier to know the reason.  And sorrier still to know we can't do anything more than offer comfort and commiseration.

It was an pleasure to know her and it will be an honor to remember her.

Ania was lucky to have a husband like you.

Be strong and visit now and again.

{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}} from all of us!

dave  :(

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Jerzy,

I'm deeply saddened by this. As you know, I have been in e-mail contact with Ania for a long time now, and I was looking forward to having the two of you visit us here on the Big Island. She often mentioned this, and I'm sorry I will never have the opportunity to meet her. We had a lot of very interesting discussions about palms and aviation and even politics at times (even though she certainly had a different outlook - which I could fully understand!). I'm very sorry for what you must be going thru and my thoughts are certainly with you and your children. And I realize that this difficult time probably began a long time ago for you.

Can I communicate with you via Ania's e-mail address, or should I use a different one? If so, you can always send it to me privately thru a PM here on PalmTalk. Or you can simply log on to our website:

www.lundkvistpalmgarden.com

Go to "Contact" and you can send me an e-mail that way. Either way, I hope to maintain contact with you, and you are always welcome here as our guest.

Aloha, and my sincerest sympathy.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I once had a very realistic dream of a close friend who I hadn't heard from in about 6 months. I awoke somewhat rattled at the intensity of the dream. It was a pleasant dream, but I was somewhat disturbed by it.

The next morning I called a mutual friend, who informed me that Jim had died that night accidentally(drowning).

I knew then that those who pass are still with us.

I was proud to share many political, ethical and moral views with Ania when the now gone Palapa was active. While subjects got heated sometimes, she was always a classy lady, quick to apologize if she had offended anyone. She was a soldier of principal, and understood what America was about, even though she wasn't born here.

God Bless Ania....I hope she's planting all the things she couldn't grow before on earth, and she finds there's no weeds in Heaven.

:(    :(    :(

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Dear Jerzy,

I am so sorry to read that Ania is gone.  My heartfelt condolences to you, Joana, and Paul.

I really admired her feisty intelligence and enjoyed her sense of humor.  She really stood out among the other palm forum members, and she has been missed.

I admire that you will honor Ania's palm connection with your IPS membership.

You and your family are in my thoughts,

Kim

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Jerzy,

Even though like many others here, I never had the chance to meet Ania. But I read many of her replys. I wish you and the family all the best through these saden times.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jerzy-

One of Ania's later posts on this board was of some stunning pics that I believe maybe you took?

This one in particular really makes me feel good.  

Somehow, I get the sense that when she posted this, she was looking "beyond".  

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

img2604gr2.jpg

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Jerzy,

I am so sorry to hear of Anna's passing.  When her posts here began to get fewer and farther between, I feared that bad news was coming.  I will miss her cheery "voice" here, and her lady like presence that ameliorated some of our coarser natures.

It took a month for you to post this here, I am glad that you have overcome this pain to tell us of this sad news.  I hope the Brahea palm that Anna's friends here got for her, lives as long as Anna might have.  I hope it gives you some comfort in your grief.  Anna was much loved on the Palm Talk board, and you are welcomed to visit with us as often as you want.

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Jerzy,

Words cannot expless our sympathy for you and the kids,  she was some gutsy lady with her heath problems

never seeming to get the better of her.  

I would always read and loved her posts including her great stories of flying and travel.  

You and the kids must be very proud of her, cherish the memory.

First thing tomorrow morning I will be searching the nursery for that special palm which

I will plant in her memory.

If you and the childen ever get to Australia my offer for accommodation is extended to you.

God Bless

Bruce & Suzi Ironmonger

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

sorry to hear of her passing.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

You family will be in our hearts and prayers.  We will miss Ania's presence here, although with her posts in the archive she will live on, and we will welcome you with open arms.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Dear Jerzy,  

I am thankful that you were able to let us know of Ania's passing as you were able to come to terms with what I know was long drawn out illness.  Yet take comfort that she was a one in a million that, you, your family, and we, were priviledged to have interaction with.  For anyone in the position Ania was in, she set an example of decorum and was an exemplary woman.

So very many of us will miss her, for while not all agreed with her statements, I'm sure all respected her.

I am glad to know she will now always have a Jubea to hug, and all her palms will grow strong and true, and she only needs to tend her garden til other loved ones arrive.

God Bless, and welcome to this family.

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

She was a valuable part of this palm family. I am glad to hear you will join and participate on her behalf.  She will be missed!

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Jerzy,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss.  I had no idea about Ania's battle with cancer; she always showed so much strength.  Our prayers are with your family.

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

Jerzy....

So sorry for your (and our) loss.

Though I never really "knew" her other than through her posts here, and was not aware of her illness, I (like so many others here) always enjoyed reading what Ania had to say. Please visit here often!

Ania, will be missed and even though I never met her in person, I really enjoyed our exchanges. We had very similar views in the Palapa and I feel as though I have lost a kindred spirit. My sincere condolences go out to your family, My prayers are with you.

David

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

My condolences to you and your family; Ania was well regarded by everyone here.

I get by with a little help from my fronds

Jerzy, this is Brian from Galveston (I have been to your house a

couple of times in the past).  

I am crying about the sad news.  I hope that you and your

children are helping each other throught this difficult time.

I know that Ania would have wanted you all to keep on living

and getting as much joy out of life as possible.  Remember that-

if you ever start getting down, do something fun for yourself

to make yourself feel better and do it because you know she wants you to.

Your friend,

Brian Quigley

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

My condolences Jerzy. She was special here and I'm sure the memories you will always carry of her will be special too.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I still cry . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Iam very sorry to hear this....though i do not know that strong-willed lady for long but i have always admired here for her frank & open mindedness...which is hard to find such people in today's materilistic world..

iam shure we all will miss her interaction and that still of a talipot palms & ania standing infont of it..is still in my mind !

may her soul rest in peace and my heart felt condolences to her family memebers..

God be with you,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Jerzy,

My condolences to you and the loved ones that Ania left behind.

I am sort of new to the forum but I have crossed posts with Ania a few times.  I remember her the most actually from the Movie related posts in the off topic forum.  She was really enthusiastic about keeping those posts going and she was very opinionated about her movies.

If I remember correcty she doesn't like Sandra Bullock.

She will be missed in this forum.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

My thoughts are with you Jerzy. Ania added a lot to this forum and she'll be missed...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

As most on Palm Talk, I never met Ania in person, but could tell she was a wonderfull person.  I am very sorry for your loss. We will miss her.

Take care,

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I am very saddened to hear this new Jerzy. My thoughts and prayers are w/ you, Joanna and Paul.

Ania did have an awesome attitude and her posts here were always good to read. She kept on the positive side of things. She loved her palms. She will be missed but not forgotten.

Please join us, when you can, on the forum in keeping w/ her tradition. We would like that and you know she would too.

Best,

Joe

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

Jerzy

I can't add much to the eulogies expressed by those who post above;

I think it's fair to say that Anna was universally respected AND loved

on this board.

Don't forget how proud she was of her Bambusa oldhamii too!  I trust

it's still doing well against the fence in your backyard.

I intend to find something nice to donate to the Mercer Arboretum

this year in her honor - hopefully, they'll put her name on it and you

and Jonanna and Paul can go see it.

As we say in Czech (I'm sure it's similar in Polish) "Sbohem Anna, na

shledanou".

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

Steve let me know if I can help you with a palm donation for mercer.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

(palmotrafficante @ Mar. 24 2008,20:47)

Steve let me know if I can help you with a palm donation for mercer.

Count me in, too.

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

I'm in.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Jerzy,

I'm sorry for your loss.  As a cancer survivor it always hurts to hear that someone has passed after a long battle with cancer.

Best wishes from the Peruch Family.

Dave Peruch

Jacksonville, FL

Zone 9a

First Officer

Air Wisconsin Airlines (USairways Express)

Canadair Regional Jet

Base: ORF

Tad, Steve, Keith, et. al.

I have an email into my contact at Mercer: Linda Gay, one of the world's greatest ginger experts,

nice lady, and old friend of Bob Riffle's to see what she want/needs for her palm garden.  As long

as she doesn't email back that she wants a 15 ctf CIDP delivered and insured, I believe we can

accommodate her.  They have a giant sale called March Mart this weekend, so I don't expect to

hear from her until next week - I'll let y'all know what she says.  It'd be nice to be able to put a

tree in for Anna near Bob Riffle's bench in the middle of the palm garden.

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

I will donate money to this cause without question.

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

I read the news with deep sorrow, Jerzy.

Anna was a great contributor to this Palmtalk forum for many years and she'll be missed here a lot. I'll always remember her love for some big and unusual palms, like Astrocaryum murumuru, her admiration for Brahea armata and also her interesting, intelligent and passionate political points in the old palapa.

Our prayers and thoughts to you and the family.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Jerzy - so sorry to hear of ania's passing.   my condolences to you and your family.     god speed.

Kent in Kansas.

Gowing palm trees in the middle of the country - Kansas.

It's hot in the summer (usually) and cold in the winter (always).

i have some 5 foot trunk Livistona decoras I would gladly donate one.

Abraham Lincoln

Jerzy,

I offer my thoughts and prayers to you and your family. I spoke with Ania a few times and we exchanged information on what each other were growing here in the Houston area. Her input will be greatly missed on this board but I know she is in a great place now.

With Deepest Sympathy,

Michael Smith

I have some acrocomias too, or phoenix dact,humillis,sylvestris etc...

Abraham Lincoln