IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis pembana

MattyB

Thought I'd post an updated pic from the one in post #20. There is a water bottle at the base for scale.

The clump provides a nice screen from the drive.

Tim

attachicon.gifD_pembana.jpg

Amazing! What's the red leaved foliage plant in the background?

Thanks!

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Jonathan, it's a Heliconia indica. Stunning plant too.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 3 years later...

I've noticed my friends keep breaking... This palm doesn't tolerate the wind well, does it?

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

6 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

I've noticed my friends keep breaking... This palm doesn't tolerate the wind well, does it?

Sorry about your friends:( .  I guess it depends on how much wind you are referring to.  I have several planted in various exposures and not had any issues with any fronds ever breaking.  Leaflets can get beat up in high winds and tear some, but no different than D lanceolata.  That said, you may have significantly stronger winds in Tampa.  What sort of wind speeds caused the problem and how big is your your pembana?

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 5/30/2013, 9:29:08, MattyB said:

Here's that D. pembana update from the beginning of this thread. It took a while to get going but now it's got several rings of trunk and is growing strong.

post-126-0-86823300-1369931307_thumb.jpg

Is the dog Frog?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

16 hours ago, Tracy said:

Sorry about your friends:( .  I guess it depends on how much wind you are referring to.  I have several planted in various exposures and not had any issues with any fronds ever breaking.  Leaflets can get beat up in high winds and tear some, but no different than D lanceolata.  That said, you may have significantly stronger winds in Tampa.  What sort of wind speeds caused the problem and how big is your your pembana?

It is still pretty small, 3G size if I'm not mistaken. I'm guessing the wind would have been no higher than 20mph lately.

2 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

It is still pretty small, 3G size if I'm not mistaken. I'm guessing the wind would have been no higher than 20mph lately.

I wouldn't worry then if they are still relatively small.  This is one of my taller ones, which has seen well in excess of 20mph with orchids on a stick hanging off fronds without ever breaking any fronds.  Unless there are other signs of a problem, I would suggest just being patient.

20160926-104A4359.jpg

20160926-104A4362.jpg

• Upvote 5

22 minutes ago, Tracy said:

I wouldn't worry then if they are still relatively small.  This is one of my taller ones, which has seen well in excess of 20mph with orchids on a stick hanging off fronds without ever breaking any fronds.  Unless there are other signs of a problem, I would suggest just being patient.

20160926-104A4359.jpg

20160926-104A4362.jpg

Thanks! :greenthumb:

• 7 months later...

I noticed a "doinker" coming off the side of one of my Dypsis pembana and was a bit surprised.  I have seen and experienced this with Dypsis lutescens, but never with D pembana.  Down lower at the base of a trunk is normal for a new trunk to emerge in my experience, but this is the first I've seen with pembana emerging this far up the trunk.  The blocks are 8x8x16's for perspective, so where it is trying to emerge is about 16" or two blocks high.  Anyone seen this with D pembana before?

20170709-104A7031.jpg

• Upvote 3

Tracy, it's doink city on my D. pembanas, but they harden off and turn into big knobs. They do more than a good job 

suckering from the base though, vigorous clumpers.

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

13 hours ago, realarch said:

Tracy, it's doink city on my D. pembanas, but they harden off and turn into big knobs. They do more than a good job 

suckering from the base though, vigorous clumpers.

Tim

Thanks for sharing that Tim.  I only have one that is what I would call a "vigorous clumper", with 1/3 of mine (2 of 6 still solitairy), and they are infants anymore. 

20170709-104A6938.jpg

• Upvote 2

They're sure not vigorous clumpers for me. Whether it's an individual thing or a La Habra thing I don't know. I have about 5 - 6 plants, all about 10 - 12 feet (3 - 4 M) tall, with, at most a couple pups on each, and one remaining solitary. When conditions are right, they grow fast, but when they're not, they tend to just croak. Given what I've seen, I'm sure they like L-Cadia better than L-Habra, by a wide margin. Here, I've killed relatively large plants by putting out into the full sun. They definitely prefer a bit of shade in my 'hood.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I acquired two 1 gal. D. pembanas, oh geeze back in late '08 or early '09, and both were already suckering. Instead of planting just the

one, I thought.......oh, two would be better. Well, I don't know if that was such a wise decision, but glancing at the chainsaw, there is a solution.

They could use a bit of a thinning out though. 

Here are a few photos, and Tracy, some of the knobs. 

Tim

Dpemb1 copy.jpg

P1010971.jpg

P1010972.jpg

• Upvote 7

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Just sharing my Dypsis pembana.  We rarely have any issues with wind here on the Leeward Kona side but like anywhere, it can happen.  Last year we had one of those wind gust events and several green healthy leaves snapped off giving the tree an off balanced look for a while until new leaves grew out again.  So, yes, I'd say they can suffer from very strong wind. 

Dypsis pembana, 10-'16 (1).JPG

Dypsis pembana, 10-'16 (2).JPG

• Upvote 6

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

those are some of th biggest I have seen Al, gorgeous palms!  Here is one of mine, I mentioned it earlier in the thread, its a solitary but branched above ground after it had a spear pull in dec 2010 as a 3 gallon in the ground for ~4 months.  Today it has about 11' clear trunk.  this one sees no late day sun on the trunk, but the crown is above the house so its getting some now.  Its shaded by kentiopsis O and caryota mitis and a royal to the east.CUdypsis2trk.thumb.PNG.b45b06255bcf7acdapembanajune2017.thumb.PNG.961d5dffd7f1a8

• Upvote 4

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

1 hour ago, sonoranfans said:

its a solitary but branched above ground after it had a spear pull in dec 2010 as a 3 gallon in the ground for ~4 months.

Going back to my question, it appears that pushing out aborted new starts above the ground isn't too uncommon for Dypsis pembana, but actually creating a separate trunk like Dypsis lutescens often does is relatively unusual.  Some big beautiful clumps that Tim and Al have posted here growing on the Big Island!!

17 hours ago, Tracy said:

Going back to my question, it appears that pushing out aborted new starts above the ground isn't too uncommon for Dypsis pembana, but actually creating a separate trunk like Dypsis lutescens often does is relatively unusual.  Some big beautiful clumps that Tim and Al have posted here growing on the Big Island!!

I havent seen one do this yet on palmtalk, branch above the soil, but then there are so many posts I havent read.  After the pear pull the new start came through a leafbase near the grow poiint, it looked like the original point was dead.  But then about 6 months later there was a spear that came out of the original point.  At this point the original point grew faster and the secondary grow point lagged.  But then over a year or two the secondary point kicked in to grow with the first.  The palm was totally defoliated and had a pulled spear, I had no reason to think it would survive.  But I dug it up, repotted the stem and some roots, and two others with similar damage and gave them weekly douses with peroxide and daconil every 2-3 weeks.  Two survived, one died, the other survivor was a multi and is growing more slowly in greater shade.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

• 4 weeks later...

Planting a one year seedlings outside. As a guide, how deep should the hole be ?   And if you want a single palm, can clumping fronds be cut off , without harming the palm? 

one of my top 10 fav palms

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 8 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017‎ ‎2‎:‎28‎:‎22‎, realarch said:

I acquired two 1 gal. D. pembanas, oh geeze back in late '08 or early '09, and both were already suckering. Instead of planting just the

one, I thought.......oh, two would be better. Well, I don't know if that was such a wise decision, but glancing at the chainsaw, there is a solution.

They could use a bit of a thinning out though. 

Here are a few photos, and Tracy, some of the knobs. 

Tim

Dpemb1 copy.jpg

P1010971.jpg

P1010972.jpg

That is really fast. Can't think of a faster Dypsis.

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

This is a great palm. It takes full sun, my hot humid summers and cold to at least the upper-20s with only a cold spot or two. It clusters very sparingly. My two adult palms suffered frond breakage from Hurricane Irma but otherwise withstood the storm and stayed solid and have recovered nicely except for a dangling broken frond or two that will eventually fall on their own. This species makes D. cabadae & lanceolata look like wimps.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 2 months later...
On 4/27/2018, 8:21:30, PalmatierMeg said:

This species makes D. cabadae & lanceolata look like wimps.

I just had the first inflorescence appear on one of my Dypsis pembana.  What I found interesting is that its much taller and older than my Dypsis lanceolata & Dypsis lutescens which had there first flowers a few years earlier.  In that the inflorescence hasn't opened on the pembana yet, I don't know if it will hang on long enough to produce any flowers.  So the reason for my post is that while I've seen plenty of Dypsis lanceolata flowering here in California, I don't recall any Dypsis pembana flowering.  Is mine typical in being slower to flower. I recall seeing photos of another of the clumping Dypsis which flowered younger, specifically heteromorpha.  What is your experience with D pembana compared to other clumping Dypsis.  Of course the only one with an inflorescence for me is one of my two solitary specimens, not one of the clumping ones.

20180713_184213.jpg

20180713_184231.jpg

• Upvote 2

My older pembana (planted from a 3g in 2009) has flowered for the past several years but all the seeds abort - I don't know why. Same with my remaining lanceolata. My cabadaes have never flowered. It's a mystery. Keep me posted on how your palm does.

Meg

Florida

9 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

My older pembana (planted from a 3g in 2009) has flowered for the past several years but all the seeds abort - I don't know why. Same with my remaining lanceolata. My cabadaes have never flowered. It's a mystery. Keep me posted on how your palm does.

Yours is probably the same age as mine, in that I planted mine from a 7 gallon in either late 2010 or early 2011.  This one did have a couple of companion trunks at one time that were damaged during my 2013/14 remodel and aborted.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised that yours flowered earlier in Cape Coral than here, but was it faster than your lanceolata (s)?  Would love to see how big your pembana from 2009 is now just to see how the difference in climate has effected its growth rate.

2 hours ago, Tracy said:

Yours is probably the same age as mine, in that I planted mine from a 7 gallon in either late 2010 or early 2011.  This one did have a couple of companion trunks at one time that were damaged during my 2013/14 remodel and aborted.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised that yours flowered earlier in Cape Coral than here, but was it faster than your lanceolata (s)?  Would love to see how big your pembana from 2009 is now just to see how the difference in climate has effected its growth rate.

Both of my pembanas are much larger than the lanceolata. My oldest is a bit hard to photograph so I will take photos of the second one, which is nearly as large. It has finally recovered from frond damage due to Hurricane Irma last September. Right now we are getting a huge thunderstorm.

Meg

Florida

Heres my 16 month old Pembanas.. Not sure how many years it will take to start growing Trunk ?

Screenshot_20180715-020204_Gallery.jpg

Interesting. My Pembina is 14 years old and has never flowered yet, but it is about 25 feet tall! It is partially shaded. Got a doinker on my Lanceolate this year. My Cabadae is very slow under canopy (about 4 feet tall), but is consistently growing for 17 years!

Pembina Trunkal areaPembana2.thumb.jpg.f86fb16558f5b5f67ea90

Pembana looking up

Pembana.thumb.jpg.925bf8fae04cee201a75de

17 year old 4 foot Cabadae

Cabadae.thumb.jpg.48538c8af878155a9a6ac4

Lanceolata doinker

Doinker.thumb.jpg.30233c2aed427ce8ef55ca

The Lanceolata was purchased as Lanceonata, at JM years ago. Supposedly a different form?

• Upvote 4

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

3 hours ago, Brett in Mission Viejo said:

The Lanceolata was purchased as Lanceonata, at JM years ago. Supposedly a different form?

Not to digress from the D pembana too much, but I have two forms of lanceolata with one being much slower than the other.  I planted the smaller lanceolata about the same time and similar size as the D pembana with the inflorescence.  That lanceolata has much narrower girth on the trunks than the "normal" lanceolata or pembana, slower growing, more sensitive to burning with too much sun and a pinkish hue to it's new flushes even now after about 7 plus years in the ground.

10 hours ago, Tracy said:

Not to digress from the D pembana too much, but I have two forms of lanceolata with one being much slower than the other.  I planted the smaller lanceolata about the same time and similar size as the D pembana with the inflorescence.  That lanceolata has much narrower girth on the trunks than the "normal" lanceolata or pembana, slower growing, more sensitive to burning with too much sun and a pinkish hue to it's new flushes even now after about 7 plus years in the ground.

My remaining lanceolata is perhaps 6' tall but leans because of Hurricane Irma. It has flowered the past several years but seeds either don't set or abort very young. I don't know why that happens to it and my pembanas. Do they lack a pollinator not available in SWFL?

Meg

Florida

Tracy, as you requested here are latest photos of my second D. Pembana. It is in the final stages of recovery from Hurricane. One stem has flowered but not produced viable seeds. 

Dypsis pembana, Cape Coral, FL

5b4fbfba871d5_Dypsispembana0107-18-18.th5b4fc00d433cb_Dypsispembana0707-18-18.th5b4fbfac8ab54_Dypsispembana0307-18-18.th5b4fbfdca3601_Dypsispembana0407-18-18.th5b4fbfec9d38f_Dypsispembana0507-18-18.th5b4fc01e40351_Dypsispembana0807-18-18.th5b4fc038c3973_Dypsispembana1007-18-18.th5b4fc02bbc221_Dypsispembana0907-18-18.th5b4fc0459d0f4_Dypsispembana1107-18-18.th

• Upvote 7

Meg

Florida

I have a forest of D.pembana growing on the hill behind my house. Mine still show some signs of ash from our recent eruption. These are now 11-12 years from seed and are just starting to produce seeds. These are one of my favorite carefree palms.

IMG_1492.thumb.jpg.26127661f052127023e4d

• Upvote 3

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Meg your Pembaba looks amazing..how old are they?  Scott, have your Pemban palms reached full growth hieght ?

10 hours ago, Patrick Palms said:

Meg your Pembaba looks amazing..how old are they?  Scott, have your Pemban palms reached full growth hieght ?

My tallest trunks are 6 meters tall and continue to grow taller. I am not sure how tall they eventually grow.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

• 1 month later...
On 7/18/2018, 3:42:12, PalmatierMeg said:

here are latest photos of my second D. Pembana. It is in the final stages of recovery from Hurricane. One stem has flowered but not produced viable seeds. 

Very attractive specimens Meg, especially considering they are in the final stages of recovery!  I'm not very optimistic about getting viable seed from this first inflorescence on mine.  The inflorescence seems compact, but I'm comparing it to my other clumping Dypsis species which are flowering.  Added to that, I've never had any other palms set viable seed on their first go around.  Then again, I don't try very hard.

20180820-104A0320.jpg

20180820-104A0321.jpg

• Upvote 1

Beautiful palms, Tracy. Both of my Dypsis pembana have flowered for several years but seeds always abort. I don't know why. Same for D. lanceolata. My D. cabadae has never flowered.

Meg

Florida

• 4 months later...

Dypsis Pembana is one of my favorites!   I have six of them planted throughout my garden.  Here's a pic of my best one which was only one metre in height when planted in April 2015.  

QQdYx7r.jpg

FIOYUpA.jpg

• Upvote 3