IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis pembana

MattyB

I just planted out a Dypsis pembana that I had dug up from my old place.  It's small but seems to handle some sun.  I've also got one growing at my Mom's place and it burns a bit.  I'm not sure if it's from the half day sun or from winter cold.  How's this performing for you guys?  I suspect that I can get it to acclimate to sun but any low temps even above freezing it won't like.  Thanks for the input. :)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Matt,

I just recently sunk one into the ground at my place as well from a 3 gallon. I found it for only $12.00 and it has about 3 short canes to it. I am not that familiar with this palm, other than what POM states.

I planted it in an area that stays damp and gets filtered sun for most of the day. I appears to be growing rapidly. It shows no sign (yet) from the 40F I had this winter.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Matt, thank you for asking. Mine are much slower than I expected.I had read fantastic stories of their growth rate and this has not been the case for me. I have one planted in the ground at the beach (poor soil) and it is incredibly slow.I have about twelve still in tree gallon pots that look great and a few are starting to clump.I hope to plant these at my new higher,cooler,wetter place.

Scott

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Well, they're not rocketships.  But for a clumper dypsis they're fast.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

They are fast in Florida;  here's 2  years growth:

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

However, in California I'm not so sure.  I too would love to hear how they're growing in Socal; speed, cold hardiness, attractiveness, etc...

• Upvote 1

San Fernando Valley, California

I put mine in full hot florida sun and it was burnt bad but it grew out fast in a few months and has never looked back. It did well that one night at 30f.

Tom

• Upvote 1

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

I planted a smallish one in mostly full sun and it's powering. However we had one day of 40c heat wich put a few small burn marks on the leaves. Otherwise it a real goer.

Peter ...... yours looks great

Regards

Brod

Palms are the king of trees

Brod

Brisbane, Australia

28 latitude, sub tropical

summer average 21c min - 29c max

winter average 10c min - 21c max

extremes at my place 5c - 42c

1100 average rainfall

My pembanas would be faster than any other Dypsis I have. Full sun most of the day, plenty of water and away they go.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Growing great here on O`ahu.  Full sun and not as much water as Peter's in Fla. as it gets very little water out of the sky.  

Pembana On O`ahu

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Matty ~ I've got two gettin' quite a bit of sun all day and they are doing great! When I first moved everything was just out in the open as I don't have much of a shade area at my new place. A lot of my palms burnt up a bit including the pembana's but boy are they making a comeback! Both of them have opened green fronds in the last week and show no signs of burn.

I had them in mostly shade with just an hour or two of sun before so I expected things to get burnt a bit at first but theses guys aren't looking back!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

I am growing a pembana as a seasonal houseplant and it does great indoors. Mine has developed a very dark crownshaft from the lower light levels. Last year it opened 3 spears when it was outside and has opened one over the winter with a 5th a few weeks from opening, so I'd consider this to be a fast grower indoors.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Mine have pooped a schilling.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(BS, Man about Palms @ Mar. 19 2008,18:07)

I have some on a table in my shade house with Arc. Alex. 'Beatrice' and Pritchardia Hildebrandtii. The D Pembana are burned to a crisp, and the other two palms are untouched. They apparently don't like cold. If they survive, I may put some up by the pool/house...but not encouraged at this point.

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Mine has been sitting in full sun except for the shade of my Teddy Bear. It has seen below 32F three times, as low as 30F. Looks fine. I still think I'll grow it in a pot, based on the others experiences.

It must be a palm that goes south on the turn of a dime. The opposite of D. lutescens, which looks like crap at 34F but survives 25F.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I have two. The oldest was put into the ground in partial sun in May of 2006. it was a 1 gallon then. Now, it's about 10 feet tall and has 9 inches of trunk. It's a rocket, even outpacing veitchias planted nearby. It was a 2 stemmer when planted and just yesterday I noticed a third stem appearing.

The other one, in the ground less than a year, is showing signs of the same speedy growth. Both showed a little sun scorching when first planted but soon outgrew it.

Punta Gorda, Fla.

26 53 N 82 02 W

on a large saltwater canal basin 1/2 mile from beautiful Charlotte Harbor 10A/10B microclimate (I hope)

(BS, Man about Palms @ Mar. 19 2008,15:07)

Actually Bill, with the exchange rate where it is, that is not such a bad thing. So it is doing well?

Matt I have three. Two are in full sun and did burn, but each new leaf handles the sun better and better.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I ordered 100 seeds and only 4 germinated.  They are in one gallon pots now and I am anxious to see how fast they are.  So far as seedlings, they are slow.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Mine is a houseplant and is doing fantastically!

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

Pembanas are like great ocean going yachts, they need to stretch their legs and speed across the sun kissed waves and not be kept anchored and imprisoned in a small protected bay.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Put 2 - 1 gal in the ground last fall and so far so good. I hope they grow like yours Gordon. I'm almost wondering if I planted too close to the sidewalk. If so, I'll have to move the sidewalk. :D

Tim

pembana.jpg]

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I would be willing to bet that the different reports regarding growth rate are due to two different palms being sold as Dypsis pemabana.  The real pembana is very light green all over, and has rather wide leaflets (maybe not as wide as lanceolata but close).  The other one I've seen is much darker (more like lanceolata) and has narrower leaflets.

Anyways, I have both, and the real pembana is very close to Archontophoenix fast.  From a small 2g to trunking in ~3 years.   The other one is much slower, probably closer to lanceolata in growth rate.  They're both great looking palms so I'm not implying that anyones getting ripped off.  But the real pembana in my experience is probably 2X as fast as any other Dypsis, at least in the SoCal climate.

That said, my real pembana is a bit crispy looking right now, but I'm pretty sure it's because I've been taking the bananas out that were shading it.  It doesn't look real bad, but is definitely not 'flawless'.  It has been down to 33F and really doesn't seem to suffer at all in the winter.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

We got one back in June 2006, a 1 gal. about 1-2ft tall. It is a fast grower.

here it is Jan. 2007

add0.jpg

and today;

img_0809.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Matt, I have both types too. The thinner leaflet ones also have a pink emerging spear towards the base and the leaflets are clustered. Do you see this too? The fatter leaflet Pembana (I have one single trunk and one clumper) has regular leaflet arrangement.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

(Wal @ Mar. 20 2008,06:13)

Pembanas are like great ocean going yachts, they need to stretch their legs and speed across the sun kissed waves and not be kept anchored and imprisoned in a small protected bay.

Wow, that is so poetic.  Did you think of that all by yourself?

I sometimes I wish I could think "cool" like that.   :D

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

We've probably covered this ground before, but it would be enlightening to see D pembana, D "mayotte", D lanceolata, and D cabadae leaflets side-by-side on same age plants. As 15 gallon plants, those four look alot alike.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

(Redland @ Mar. 20 2008,16:21)

Matt, Len,

Could the "other" type you are refering to be called D. mayott?

John

Nope. I have some of those too.  :P

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

• 5 years later...

I just planted out a Dypsis pembana that I had dug up from my old place. It's small but seems to handle some sun. I've also got one growing at my Mom's place and it burns a bit. I'm not sure if it's from the half day sun or from winter cold. How's this performing for you guys? I suspect that I can get it to acclimate to sun but any low temps even above freezing it won't like. Thanks for the input. :)

How about a photo Matty? :interesting:

Its has had 5 years to develope. B)

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Hello everyone.

I ordered mine in Nov2012 from JMarcus as a 4".

Stayed green all winter and pushing spears outdoors.

Faster grower than my D.carlsmithii or D.robusta. These 3 are my fastest Dypsis.

All 3 are in full sun and I hope they remain robust all through summer as well...fingers crossed.

BTW I have the true form with the wide leaflets

Cheers. :)

Hello everyone.

I ordered mine in Nov2012 from JMarcus as a 4".

Stayed green all winter and pushing spears outdoors.

Faster grower than my D.carlsmithii or D.robusta. These 3 are my fastest Dypsis.

All 3 are in full sun and I hope they remain robust all through summer as well...fingers crossed.

BTW I have the true form with the wide leaflets

Cheers. :)

In Adendum...

All 3 are already planted in the ground.

Excellent & robust grower.

Thick light green leaves and always a spear growing.

Mines a double pembana with both growing about same speed.

Ritchy

Why is it that none of these revived threads ever get any follow up pictures? Did the original plants croak? Alternatively, did the specimen become un-interesting after it was obvious it grew well?

Mine has continued to power and is just nudging ahead of my Mad x Cab. It has remained as a single trunk which is what I was hoping for.

Palms are the king of trees

Brod

Brisbane, Australia

28 latitude, sub tropical

summer average 21c min - 29c max

winter average 10c min - 21c max

extremes at my place 5c - 42c

1100 average rainfall

Hard to remember to go and take a pic when you're busy.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Hard to remember to go and take a pic when you're busy.

Matty - I ran accross this old thread. Knowing how well so many other Dypsis are doing for you, was just curious what it looks like now.

When your not busy, a photo would be appreciated. This thread is not going to disappear :lol:

Ron ^_^

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

This is old. My multiple trunk Pembana died. My single trunk suckered and bifurcated. My "clustered" leaflet one is a rocket and is really a hybrid.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Thought I'd post an updated pic from the one in post #20. There is a water bottle at the base for scale.

The clump provides a nice screen from the drive.

Tim

post-1300-0-26217900-1369881596_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thought I'd post an updated pic from the one in post #20. There is a water bottle at the base for scale.

The clump provides a nice screen from the drive.

Tim

attachicon.gifD_pembana.jpg

WOW!

What a difference 5 years make from a 1 gallon.

Looks like the tallest leaf is over your roof? 10 feet high?

Looks like the walkway is still there too.

Must be your Aloha weather...anyone from SoCal with same results??

Well done Tim.

Ritchy

• Upvote 1

Here's that D. pembana update from the beginning of this thread. It took a while to get going but now it's got several rings of trunk and is growing strong.

post-126-0-86823300-1369931307_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 4

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Here's that D. pembana update from the beginning of this thread. It took a while to get going but now it's got several rings of trunk and is growing strong.

That looks nice! Seems like it has some exposure too and seems to be doing fine.

I bought 3 of these in 1 gallon size in may 2010 from the same source. they were all exposed to the 28F x 2, dec 15,16 2010 cold/frost event with no overhead cover. All 3 pulled spears and defoliated, one died. Of the other 2, one took off fast and is currently single trunked but it branched to a second growing point above ground at the spear pull point(~7-8"), it is ~ 9' overall now with about 2' of branched trunk. The second one took longer to recover after I repotted it(it was in the ground), its now 6'+ with a couple rings and is multitrunked(3). These appear to be fast in florida, about 2/3rd the speed of my archontophoenix alexandre and myolensis in the same area/exposure. I was initially disappointed in their cold tolerance, but they were small palms and 2 of 3 did recover fully after spear pull(with multiple peroxide/ daconil treatments). It would seem to be a 9b palm after it is established.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank