IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

.re-Foxy Lady

aussiearoids

Visited the seller from the 'Monster Markets' today .

Did not know what to expect . Justin has 250 acres against the mountains at Mena Creek . This is just a few kilometers south of Innisfail and right under the path of sever tropical Cyclone Larry . His many shadehouses were blown away and he has been selling remaining stock at great prices .

These very tall Foxy ladies grace the entrance to the only shade house he erected after the cyclone .

The foliage was completely blown off these palms , and they have come back with a vengeance .

Easily a good 6m of clear trunk on these , and flowers galore , but as we all know never a seed forms

post-354-1203931149_thumb.jpg

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Justin got a large batch of seeds from a dealer in Cairns .

They were supposed to be 'Foxtail' seeds , and he was very dissapointed when over half of the seeds germinated and grew into these . As at the time you could not give away Veitchias and Foxtails were the 'in thing'

post-354-1203931550_thumb.jpg

Apparently I have one too... supposed to be Veitchia when I bought it. Very hardy and very fast too... Can't complain, it looks good. Now... if only she had more than one  :D

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Michael, Foxy Ladies are the best, and those ones are incredible surviving Larry. I love all of them, Foxtails, veitchia's, and Foxy Ladies. Fast growers and really tropical looking.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

(Tyrone @ Feb. 25 2008,22:05)

Michael, Foxy Ladies are the best, and those ones are incredible surviving Larry. I love all of them, Foxtails, veitchia's, and Foxy Ladies. Fast growers and really tropical looking.

regards

Tyrone

Couldn't agree more Tyronne, I have 6 Veitchias, 4 foxtails, 3 foxy ladies with one being a Veitchia mother.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Michael, have you ever been down to the palm nursery at Mutarnee? They have the biggest foxy lady I've ever seen..well worth a look.

They sure are sweet palms.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Is it true they never set viable seed? Rich Trapnell seems to think that they do?

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I've also heard from Jeff Marcus of Floribunda Palms that the seeds are viable...In fact, he is growing them out and says that they are even better than the foxy lady...

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Awesome palms Michael !....i have 6 Foxy Ladys with 2 approaching the same height as those in the photos...never tire seeing such majestic palms !.Clayton;s got heaps of seedlings coming along at very reasonable prices and will be for sale soon .....get in quick!! cheers Mike Green.

Any variegated one, Mike? Scott is a sucker for variegated anything...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Mike, is Clayton bring some to the show?

Palms are the king of trees

Brod

Brisbane, Australia

28 latitude, sub tropical

summer average 21c min - 29c max

winter average 10c min - 21c max

extremes at my place 5c - 42c

1100 average rainfall

Justin has never had any seed set on them .

Ari,did'nt see any variegated ones there....maybe you should wait until they get a few more leaves and see if Clayton can hold them for you!. Brod,apparantly not as they are still too small and Clayton wants to grow them on a bit first !. I managed to dig some Dypsis lucubensis (true form) for you,Ari and Wal so i'll keep them until Daryl's bbq (sunday week) cheers Mike Green.

(newcal @ Feb. 27 2008,06:03)

Ari,did'nt see any variegated ones there....maybe you should wait until they get a few more leaves and see if Clayton can hold them for you!. Brod,apparantly not as they are still too small and Clayton wants to grow them on a bit first !. I managed to dig some Dypsis lucubensis (true form) for you,Ari and Wal so i'll keep them until Daryl's bbq (sunday week) cheers Mike Green.

Thanks Mike. Where did you dig them from? Self sown ones?? BTW, I got something for you too. I just hope they will survive the journey!! I'll do my best...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

:) Hi Michael, Ari & Scott, Tyrone in fact HI To Everyone.

:o

After talking to you last night Michael had to check

it out for sure,  Nice ones, these guys are ones that won't set seed, There one's that the late John Kovicaivch hand

pollenated for sure, (As mentioned in a Much earlier

post) . hey Tyrone Yes "Foxy lady" from Rosebud has set a few seeds

But Also has different partner, V. joannis is the main reason.

Where John's where done with V. arecina.

Still makes a beautiful looking palm. Thanks for sharing those pic's  Michael.... Nice looking still for sure Dude.

Cheers to all, Mikey..... :)

• Upvote 1

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

Mikey, there was a big one in Perth which has just been cut down :( which had seed on it. Someone planted it under power lines. A REAL shame that was.

regards

Tyrone

(Tyrone @ Feb. 28 2008,11:54)

Mikey, there was a big one in Perth which has just been cut down :( which had seed on it. Someone planted it under power lines. A REAL shame that was.

regards

Tyrone

That's plain disastrous Tyronne. Imagine what it would be worth.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Ari,yes the Dypsis are self sown and growing at a client's residence in Tweed Heads!.The parents are very healthy and about 40 feet tall. I'll take some pics some time soon...cheers Mike Green. PS the owner has'nt any Foxy Ladys to show either!.

Hey Mike.. can you bring one of those Dypsis to the show as I'm unable to make it to Daryls on the 9th. If not, thats cool, I'll get it later sometime.

Thanks Heaps

Brod

Palms are the king of trees

Brod

Brisbane, Australia

28 latitude, sub tropical

summer average 21c min - 29c max

winter average 10c min - 21c max

extremes at my place 5c - 42c

1100 average rainfall