IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Glynn Whiddon

Tad

Glynn Whiddon had a heart attack this afternoon around one, one thirty and passed away.

A lot of people in the Tx palm society knew Glynn, and owe what they have in their collection to his efforts.

He was very knowledgeble about palms,cycads,and plants in general.

He owned and ran Rainforest Wholesale Nursery and Landscaping in Harlingen, Tx.

He had quite a few friends here on the board and will be missed by many people.

He and I had some different views about plants, and other things, but he never hesitated to answer my never ending strings of questions, when we hosted a palm society meeting he gave me several compliments and I was so stoked, that he took notice. I got to do some business with him 2 weeks ago and we had about an hour of discussion on palms,the current market and I got some insight on, the importance of lets not take things too serious, and remember that we are really here for the love of plants, I know I speak for a lot of landscapers and nursery people in this area when I say he will be missed.

Tad

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

here's a photo of Glynn, richtrav & zac (after he chauffered us through Tamaulipas 6/05) showing us his garden in the Rio Grande Valley - a good guy

glynnsgarden.jpg

• Upvote 1

I get by with a little help from my fronds

We will definitely miss him, he left his signature on South Texas landscapes for over 30 years and certainly knew how to live life. He was afraid of little and lived with no regrets, never ceased to amaze me.

I know he will be missed. I'll always have memories of my first trip to Mexico, with 2 of the other posters in this thread( Especially vivid ones of power losses at night...LOL).

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

I met Glynn a few years ago and had the chance to visit with him at his nursery. He definitely shared the passion for plants as so many of us do. I'm sure he will be missed greatly in the nursery industry.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 2 weeks later...

Glynn was one of the greatest people I have ever met. I have so many memories of us hanging out, going to Mexico, etc. I remember he was the one who found my first foxtail (my first favorite palm), and he was there the first time I went to a PSST meeting and was one the people I looked up to in the society, I know he will be greatly missed, I know I will miss him!

Blake