IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

borneopalmseeds

Kai

Kai. I placed an order with them for Licuala "mapu" seeds (at a very good price) on Nov.25 2007 and the seeds were promtly shipped Dec.3.They sent me an email to inform me.I was impressed! I still have not received the seeds and after a month I emailed them and got a response that it could take 10 weeks or never.I wont be ordering from them again.

Scott

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

did you get your money back?

How did you pay?

come on...10 weeks LOL  :D  :D  :D  when shipped, you should get seeds in 3 weeks tops.

I got seeds from the other side of the world (new zealand to croatia) in 12 days

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

Hi Kai:

I've ordered seeds and seedlings from them 3 times:

My first order (in 2006) was missent to Canada first (it was not their fault, but Borneo's post office, I guess...) and took over 2 months to get here...all seedlings were dead at the arrival, except a single Caryota no, now growing fine.

Second try: I ordered several seedlings again and they ended up in Manila, the Philippines !!...incredible coincidence, they've messed up the orders and sent them to our palmtalk friend Gene (Gbarce), who received my seedlings. I actually got his order...a single Licuala (or was it Areca?), dead at the arrival.

I complained by e-mail and they've sent me my order again (one species was replaced because they've run out of it), this time it was OK and arrived in less than a month, in perfect shape, nicely wrapped in moist paper towels with ziplock bags.

Third order: Several seeds and seedlings, ordered a few months ago, never arrived anything here. I've e-mailed them again and the new salesperson replied the next day and informed they had sent them and it was not their responsability if the stuff didn't arrive.

I don't think I'll be ordering again from them either... :(

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Now I got the jitters.

I wish I'd asked Kai's question last week before I ordered seeds from these guys. However, today I got a confirming e-mail from them telling me they were picking my seeds fresh off the trees and sending them out February 18. Guess I'll just have to wait (till about March 1 or so) to see if they'll following through.

But I have the joker up my sleeve. If I don't get timely satisfaction, I'll have Visa reverse charges. I'll let everyone know.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

(Gileno Machado @ Feb. 13 2008,23:46)

Third order: Several seeds and seedlings, ordered a few months ago, never arrived anything here. I've e-mailed them again and the new salesperson replied the next day and informed they had sent them and it was not their responsability if the stuff didn't arrive.

Yea i'm sure they sent them...mayne to antartica this time...or to me...  :laugh:

(PalmatierMeg @ Feb. 14 2008,00:10)

But I have the joker up my sleeve. If I don't get timely satisfaction, I'll have Visa reverse charges. I'll let everyone know.

You do that Margaret. No seeds no money.

You should all do that.

These kind of things piss me off. I wouldn't wait for one moment to retreive my money if i didn't get seeds.  :;):

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

I ordered some palm seedling on 05th Nov 2007, and I still have not recived nothing, I send some emails and they said to me:

Dear Jose Carlos,

We confirmed &  email notify you that we already air mail your seedling since 5th Nov 2007.  You parcel must be  loss or stop by your quarantine /custom office.

Currently, our caryota no - No stock & Oncosperma horridum - stock ok.

Are you interested to make new order ?  For your new order, I will  include the replacement of O. horridum - 5 seedlings.  Also provide you the Phytosanitary certificate & wild life permit.  

For shipment, propose you consider to upgrade to ship via courier ie. EMS Malaysia post courier or DHL with registration no.  for follow up.

Let me know your idea.

Juliana Chong

I don`t know if my seeds were sent anytime or must be lost.

Regards

Jose Carlos

Malaga, South Spain 'Costa del Sol'  Zone 10b

08482.gif

This was my response.It apppears that it is actually MY FAULT because the seeds were sent by normal air mail.

Hi,

We are very sorry also cause we could not trace your order unless you sent by Pos Express or Courier Service. Our Pos Malaysia here normally for air mail is ordinary mail which is they only stick the normal stamp on the box.

The air mail may take 10 to 14weeks.  Based on our experience, the long delay always due to custom clearance delay in importer country. Sometime, the parcel may be disposed by custom officer.  

TQ

Vivian

----- Original Message -----

To: Admin

Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 12:17 AM

Subject: [FG Spam] Re: Order # 2085 - Shipped

If this email is not spam, click here to submit the signatures to FortiGuard - AntiSpam Service.

I am sorry to report that I have not yet received the seeds.                            

THankyou,

Scott McKnight

----- Original Message ----

To: smbismarckia@yahoo.com

Cc: Malesiana Tropicals <sales@malesiana.com>

Sent: Monday, December 3, 2007 2:05:23 AM

Subject: Order # 2085 - Shipped

Dear Scott,

Thank you for your order online dated on 20th November 2007 via Malesiana Tropicals website. Your shipment has been shipped by Air Mail (Pos Malaysia) on 03rd December 2007.

Kindly inform us when you already receive the seeds.

Thank you and happy growing!

Vivian

Administrative Assistant

Malesiana Tropicals Sdn. Bhd.

Level 5, Tun Jugah Tower,

No.18 Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman,

93100 Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia.

Tel: (+6082) 419 290

Fax:(+6082) 423 494

Email: admin@malesiana.com

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

(PalmatierMeg @ Feb. 14 2008,00:10)

Now I got the jitters.

I wish I'd asked Kai's question last week before I ordered seeds from these guys. However, today I got a confirming e-mail from them telling me they were picking my seeds fresh off the trees and sending them out February 18. Guess I'll just have to wait (till about March 1 or so) to see if they'll following through.

They told me the same, that the seeds will be shipped on februari 18th. Please keep us informed. I'll do the same!

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

I guess I will chime in since I have just gotten seeds in a timely fashion from them today. I have done business with them for 2 years occasionally, and they have always made things right when seedlings were DOA. I guess I see it from a business perspective, as Borneo/Malaysia is not the easiest place to ship to/from.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

• 2 weeks later...

Good news! I've recieved my order today. I'm very happy with it! I ordered 100 L. orbicularis seeds, and got 110, 10 L. mapu seeds and got 13!

If you ask me, they're relyable! And if anything goes wrong, it must be because of the long distance posting...

Jippeeeeh!

post-1050-1204128351_thumb.jpg

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Good to hear Kai. I put in a reasonably large order with them just days before your initial post and am still waiting.

I had made a smaller order to test them out and they sent everything as agreed but the long trip was a little rough on most of the plants so I am paying extra for faster shipping this time. My understanding is that it takes time for the pemits to be approved when air mailed from Malaysia and that the plants and seeds are still in the nursery waiting. I hope I am as lucky as you were.

:) Hi Guys / and Girls,

Sorry I've being out of touch with everyone, So much has happened for me

But thats the way life can be like ,Anyway going to sit down more offen

and add in my 2 cents worth to help out where ever I can, Anyway.

Since  they( M.Tropicals) have lost one of there Best

collectors,& botanists

Thats a while ago now he was the main back bone of the company

And a great friend /contact sorry to say the company has gone Backwards

In Big Big steps.

One other lad I know in Aussie ordered some seeds last  year

and to Date still  Nothing,

So becareful until they can finally work things out

which Im sure will come.

Also some collectors they use (Due to no fault of theres,

the collectors that is)

are not really sure when the seeds that they pick are

at there Full Ripeness,They are still learning the Game.

Hope this helps everyone out.

Cheers to all.  Mikey.... :)

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

HI EVERYBODY!!

Thought I'd better come for a visit as its been a while.

Borneopalmseeds........Hmmmm

I bought some 40 odd Igunaura seeds from them early last year.

4 weeks delivery time ( from Borneo to Perth ain't that far) and to this day 0 germination...Needless to say, I won't be buying from them again ( considering the price I paid)

Made the move to Mandurah - West Aust

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

Well, since some more realistic, less "ain't-we-got-fun"/"cheerleading"-type comments have now been made...

I used to be a regular client of MT's upscale/expensive goodies when Ch'ien Lee was onboard and engaged in day to day management in the late 90s and early '00s. After he left I made several seed purchases from BPS, which had been spun from MT sometime earlier. After a couple small but significant purchases, I asked a knowledgeable palm grower and plant collector in Oz about them and he just guffawed and suggested that I save my money.

While I have not spent a lot of money at BPS, I have bought a fair cross section of their Licualas, Iggies and Pinangas. I also got some of the Ig seed that Jason mentions above, second-hand from him last year. I never had any problem with delivery,  late shipment or mailing delays but, to date, I have never germinated a single seed from them. To be fair, I attribute this to very bad luck on my end, but I would certainly never buy from them again.

Interestingly enough, seeds of the very same spp. obtained from either non-commercial sources or RPS have germinated and grown on just fine.

Jay

(stone jaguar @ Feb. 28 2008,19:26)

Well, since some more realistic, less "ain't-we-got-fun"/"cheerleading"-type comments have now been made...

I used to be a regular client of MT's upscale/expensive goodies when Ch'ien Lee was onboard and engaged in day to day management in the late 90s and early '00s. After he left I made several seed purchases from BPS, which had been spun from MT sometime earlier. After a couple small but significant purchases, I asked a knowledgeable palm grower and plant collector in Oz about them and he just guffawed and suggested that I save my money.

While I have not spent a lot of money at BPS, I have bought a fair cross section of their Licualas, Iggies and Pinangas. I also got some of the Ig seed that Jason mentions above, second-hand from him last year. I never had any problem with delivery,  late shipment or mailing delays but, to date, I have never germinated a single seed from them. To be fair, I attribute this to very bad luck on my end, but I would certainly never buy from them again.

Interestingly enough, seeds of the very same spp. obtained from either non-commercial sources or RPS have germinated and grown on just fine.

Jay

Hmmm, that sounds very concerning! Now I'm very happy to have recieved the seeds, it'll be a waiting game to see if anything germinates. out of a 120 seeds, at least something will germinate i think...

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

(Kamipalms @ Feb. 28 2008,06:58)

I bought some 40 odd Igunaura seeds from them early last year.

4 weeks delivery time ( from Borneo to Perth ain't that far) and to this day 0 germination...

That's interesting...

From the first seeds I've ordered from BPS (the ones that visited Canada first) I've actually managed to germinate some 30 to 40% of both Iguanura species I've ordered (I've killed most of them later by re-potting them into alcaline soil, I guess) but with the Licuala orbicularis seeds I haven't had luck at all. Well, I haven't been actually successful with orbicularis from the other 2 leading sellers either, so this one may not be in fact a long viable and easy sprouting seed for me anyway. I'm glad I could finally buy a small seedling of the species, doing fine now in organic soil and partial shade.

I understand all the difficulties with seed dealers, admire a lot their work and realize that the success in germinating new seeds, sometimes coming from around the planet, involves several risks, unknown germination conditions (with specific requirements for each species), etc...Learning with trials and failures is an exciting part of the game and patience (and tolerance) are required with this nice hobby and passion of ours. I've had failures, sometimes, with seed bought from every single established major seed dealer available (6 or 7, worldwide) but I've always tried to avoid asking for replacement seeds, even when eventually a particular batch arrives in bad conditions, either with mostly floaters or attacked by fungus and we immediatly realize that we will have little chance with those as we've received in fact a poor old material that has been kept in a drawer for too long and therefore should not have been offered for sale anymore, in first place.

What I dislike the most is sometimes a poor customer service and lack of attention and support, such as...e-mails that get no answers, species that suddently become not available after you've placed the order, and also species that are "forgotten" when packing the whole order, etc, which has happened to me sometimes...I don't discard ordering again in the future from a seed dealer with whom I haven't had much luck in the past, even with Borneopalmseeds, for that matter...Momentaneous set backs in this business are always part of the game...and we, palm affictionates and collectors are easy people to fall in temptation again... :)

I've been overall very lucky with the stuff I've been buying in the last few years and I've had success with more than 70% of the species I've tried lately, but I've been trying to focus on ordering seeds indicated as "fresh" or "new" in the websites, for the most part.

RPS and Ortanique have both been the most reliable seed dealers for me and I haven't had much trouble in receiving what I've paid for, in general.

Buying or trading seeds with other amateur collectors and friends from palmtalk, mostly fresh seed collected by ourselves, has shown, by far, the best germination results for me so now I tend to prefer swapping partnership deals with friends, whenever possible...

Happiness is...100% success with Calyptrocalyx sp "Bedand Dawn" (Noda Noda) coming from a brother in Australia, fresh as they could be.... :cool:

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Kai, I picked up my seeds today. P.O. tried to deliver Friday but I was at work & could not sign for package, so shipping took only 10 days. Not bad. My order:

Inguanura borneensis: 10 seeds, got 12

Licuala Mapu: 10 seeds, got 13. These look like little black bananas.

Seeds look like they were dusted with fungicide powder, which is good.

So far, I'm very happy but concerned about posts about poor germination rates. What are you doing? I plan to soak seeds for several days, spritz with Daconil, then plant in perlite moistened with distilled water. Anyone have further suggestions?

Meg

Florida

Hi Meg,

What ever you do don't soak them that long

wash off the powder, soak only max for couple hours then

Plant them, Several days you might as well toss them

if your going to do that, Rehydrations all they need

running water for a few hours is heaps.

Cheers Mikey....

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

Thanks, Mikey.

Meg

Florida

• 1 month later...